Applications are now open for the 2019 DW Akademie master’s scholarship program.The program is targeted at students from around the world that want to work in a position of responsibility in journalism or the communications sector. It especially addresses journalists-in-training, media representatives from radio, TV, online and print and communication experts. Those interested must have completed an academic program (bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and have acquired at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field after their first degree. The program is bilingual (English and German), whereby English is the prevalent course language.
DW Akademie currently offers the Master’s program “International Media Studies” in cooperation with the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences and Bonn University.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and, after graduating, at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field. Applicants must also have a good command of German and English.
The program is particularly aimed at:
• Media workers from radio, TV, online and print
• Young journalists, especially those working with electronic media
• Journalists and managers from community radio stations
• Communications experts
• NGO employees
• Government ministry employees
• Staff working in the area of development cooperation
• Representatives of national broadcasters’ regional working groups
• Media association representatives
Tuition Fees, Financing and Scholarships
The tuition fees for the postgraduate, four-semester Master’s Program will cost a total of 6,000 EUR. There are a limited number of full and partial scholarships available.
We are granting full scholarship to up to 10 applicants each year. Prospective students from developing countries can apply for the full scholarship. The scholarship is 750 EUR per month covering costs for living and accommodation. The tuition fee and the flight will be also reimbursed. A committee will decide which applicants are to receive a scholarship after the application deadline has expired.
Prospective students from developing countries and countries in transition who do not meet the requirements for the full scholarship, may apply for a partial scholarship. This will cover the costs of the tuition fees of 6,000 EUR. The expenses for travelling, accommodation and living will have to be paid by yourself.
In addition to the above mentioned scholarships there is the possibilty to finance your living costs (approx. 800 EUR per month) and the tuition fees of 250 EUR per month over the course of all four semesters (6,000 EUR in total).
The online application system is open between November and March each year to apply for the following winter semester. Please note that only online applications can be accepted.
Prospective students will have to apply through an online application system. Please read the information below, before you visit the application link.
Before you start entering your data in the online-application form, please make sure you have all documents required for application ready:
- Letter of motivation (max. 700 words; font “Arial”, size 10.; spacing 1,5; signed and dated)
- Current Curriculum Vitae (Europass format, signed and dated)
- Certificate of your first academic degrees (including ALL transcripts)
- Evidence of at least one year’s professional experience in a media-related field AFTER obtaining your first academic degree (for a full scholarship you must give evidence for at least two years of professional experience)
- Certificate of APS (for applicants who completed their first degree in China, Vietnam or Mongolia)
- Evidence of sufficient English language skills (TOEFL IBT: score of 83 or higher, IELTS: score of 6.5 or higher) – English language certificates are valid for two years from the date of issue
- Evidence of sufficient German language skills (TestDaF at least level TDN 3 in all four parts of the examination, Goethe Zertifikat at least level B2 or DSH at least level 1)
If you would like to apply for a full scholarship, you will be required to submit some additional documents:
- Recent recommendation letter from a University (with letterhead, official University stamp, signature and date)
- Recent recommendation letter from your employer (with letterhead, official company stamp, signature and date)
- DAAD application form
- High school diploma
Regarding the English and German language skills, please be aware that you will need to provide evidence of sufficient language skills for both languages. If you have knowledge of only one of the two languages, this does not suffice. If one of these languages is your native language or you have completed your entire program of study in either of them, evidence of that particular language is not necessary.
Please note: Documents not originally issued in English or German must also be accompanied by an official, certified translation.
Additional information is available at https://www.dw.com/en/dw-akademie/application/s-12278