Applications are now open for the 2018-2019 Growing the Leaders of Tomorrow Fellowship Programme. The objective of the Growing the Leaders of Tomorrow Fellowship Programme is to contribute to strengthened HIV clinical research capacity in high-burden countries in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) by providing two-year research fellowships to emerging young leaders in paediatric and adolescent HIV clinical science.
Application Deadline: 7 January 2019, 18:00 CET
Applications will be submitted by the fellows, with documented participation of the mentor and support of their institution(s). Mentors may apply with more than one fellow.
Mentor’s eligibility criteria
The mentor must:
• Be either an Associate or Full Professor or Chief/Principal Research Officer with an established position at a research institute in SSA;
• Submit their CV, including publication record in paediatric HIV clinical research;
• Demonstrate that they are the principal investigator of the proposed research project that the fellow will be contributing to and that direct research expenses and adequate infrastructure for the period of the fellowship will be provided for by other grants or sources of funding;
• Establish a mentorship plan that demonstrates how the fellowship will contribute to skill building and professional development of the fellow, as well as ensuring successful completion of the research project.
Fellow’s eligibility criteria:
• The fellow must be a junior investigator with a doctoral degree (PhD) or a doctor of medicine degree (e.g., MD, MBBS or equivalent) obtained no more than ten years before the application deadline and who has less than five years of relevant research experience.
• The fellow must hold a passport from a country in SSA1
• The fellow must fulfil one of the following criteria prior to the application submission deadline:
-He/she is a clinical/research trainee (e.g., research or clinical fellow, senior
medical resident/Registrar) at an SSA academic institute or an SSA institute
whose primary mission is research.
– He/she has a faculty or comparable position (e.g., assistant professor, lecturer, research officer) at an SSA academic institute or an SSA institute whose primary mission is research.
– He/she is working at an SSA organization with adequate research infrastructure
to undertake the proposed research activities.
• The fellow (and mentor) must demonstrate that funding to support the direct costs of the
proposed research is available.
Fellow/mentor pairs submit an applications to the Growing the Leaders of Tomorrow Fellowship Programme. Awardees will be selected to receive a two-year fellowship of up to US$ 70,000 (US$ 35,000 per year).
Applications for the programme must be submitted by the fellow through the online application form
Applicants will be asked to detail past achievements of the fellow and mentor, their research goals, provide an abstract of their proposed project, and write a research plan and mentorship plan for the duration of the fellowship.
Documents to be uploaded:
• Mentor’s curriculum vitae, including publication record in paediatric HIV clinical research;
• Fellow’s degree(s);
• Fellow’s passport;
• Letter of support from Mentor’s and Fellow’s institution (unless the institution is the
• Research plan, including funding and timeline; IRB approval if available (included in
• Mentorship plan (included in the form).
Selection is based on past achievements of the fellow and mentor; support by the host institution; the quality of the research proposed and the mentorship plan; and the potential of the overall proposal to forward the professional development of the fellow.
For more information,please visit https://www.iasociety.org/HIV-Programmes/CIPHER-Fellowship-Programme