The U.S. Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda, is pleased to announce the 2019-2020 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. This oneyear, full-scholarship program is offered to mid-career professionals working at the policy-level who have a record of leadership, a commitment to public service, and the initiative to take full advantage of a self-defined program of independent study at a leading American university.
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program brings accomplished professionals from developing countries to the United States at a midpoint in their careers for a one-year program of non-degree study and related professional activities. The program seeks to foster an exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding between American citizens and
professional counterparts from Rwanda. Successful applicants will be placed at participating universities in the United States for the August 2019-June 2020 academic year.
Fields of Study
Fellowships are available in the following fields:
a. Agricultural and Rural Development
b. Economic Development/Finance and Banking
c. Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
d. Urban and Regional Planning
Democratic Institution Building
b. Law and Human Rights
c. Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
d. Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
e. Technology Policy and Management
f. Human Resource Management
a. Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
b. Higher Education Administration
c. Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
a. Public Health Policy and Management
b. HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
c. Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment
To be eligible for a Humphrey Fellowship, applicants must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of substantial professional experience following university degree
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service
- Leadership position whose responsibilities provide direct policy input or impact .
- Fluency or functional English experience
Interested applicants must complete and submit their applications through the Embark online application system at https://iie.embark.com/apply/humphreyfellowship2019 no later than July 20, 2018. Unlike previous years, applications submitted via email or hard copies will not be accepted.
The Hubert Humphrey Fellowship provides:
- Round-trip economy international travel for the grantee;
- Tuition and university fees, settling-in and monthly maintenance allowances, funding for
books and professional activities ;
- Limited accident and sickness insurance but does not include pre-existing conditions and
- The Humphrey Program does not provide financial support for accompanying dependents.
Applications must be submitted through the Embark Online Application System by July
For more information,please visit rw.usembassy.gov/2019-humphrey-program