2018 Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African secondary students (Deadline:February 06, 2018)
Application Deadline: February 06, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.
YYAS 2018 will be held in two locations:
Rwanda: 29 July – 07 August
Ghana: 11 August – 20 August
The application for the 2018 Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program is now available! Entering its fifth year, this intensive program brings together African secondary school students between the ages of 14–18 for a cost-free, intensive academic and residential program. Next year YYAS will be held in two locations, Rwanda and Ghana, and take place between late July and end of August.
YYAS will admit a combined total of 300 students to the Yale Young African Scholars sessions taking place in 2018.
YYAS is the flagship program of the Yale Africa Initiative and is designed to introduce secondary school students to the demanding university and financial aid application processes and requirements, as well as to make higher education more accessible to Africa’s most talented student leaders. This past July and August, YYAS brought together 300 secondary school students from 216 schools and 33 African nations.
Administered by the Yale Young Global Scholars Program and building off that model of interdisciplinary academic exploration, YYAS participants will attend lectures led by prominent Yale faculty as well as seminars developed and taught by Yale graduate and undergraduate students. Participants will also engage in several experiential activities focusing on leadership and teambuilding and have a chance to interact directly with admissions officers from North American, African, and European universities.
YYAS offers daily workshops on different components of a university application, such as the ins-and-outs of the Common Application and how to craft a personal essay. By the end of the program, students will have a plan and timeline for submitting their applications, as well as abundant resources for further research and mentorship. In addition, students will receive both individual and group lessons for standardized tests, designed specifically for African test-takers new to exams like the SAT.
YYAS is made possible thanks to the generous support of the Higherlife Foundation as well as by contributions from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale.
- Prospective applicants must be current secondary school students in Africa who will have to complete at least one full academic term after August 2018.
- In addition, applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of an African country.
- Selected participants will be self-starters who have an interest in pursuing post-secondary level education, are in excellent academic standing, and demonstrate leadership potential.
A typical YYAS participant has:
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The ability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political issues in Africa
- To make the program accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, there is no cost for students to participate in YYAS.
- Room and board will be provided for all students, along with three meals a day.
- However, participants ARE responsible for getting themselves to the venue at the outset of the program and for their return home at the end of the program. Participants will also be responsible for any incidental expenses they elect to incur.
- Students from low-income backgrounds who demonstrate financial need may apply for a limited number of travel grants offered by the program. If awarded, the grant will cover the cost of a roundtrip plane ticket between a student’s home country and the program location. Students can only apply for travel assistance after they have received an offer of admission to YYAS.
- While YYAS provides all students traveling internationally with complimentary airport pick up and drop off on the day of arrival and departure, participants—including travel grant recipients—must also arrange for their own transportation between their home and originating airport, and upon return.
A must read:
How to apply
Required application components include:
- Completed application form – The application can be found online and must be filled out by the applicant. Students will be asked to complete one 500-word essay and three short responses, as well as to provide information on your activities and the school that you currently attend.
- Official transcript or grade report – Students must upload their official transcript or grade report(s) for each year of secondary school. A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received. National exam scores, if available, should also be submitted but are not required.
- One teacher recommendation – The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher through a link that will be provided by the applicant through the online portal. Alternatively, the teacher may email a letter of recommendation to email@example.com and staff will upload it to the student’s application.
Please note that letters must be sent in PDF (.pdf) format and placed on institutional letterhead with signature, if possible. We will not accept recommendations that are submitted by students. Applicants should request the recommendation from a teacher at their school who knows them well and has taught them in an academic subject. The recommendation also must be received by the application deadline, 06 February 2018.
We place great importance on these recommendations, because we understand that students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and education contexts. We appreciate teachers taking the time to write recommendations for their student(s). To ensure sincerity, we ask that teachers please refrain from sharing their recommendations with students.
YYAS reviews all applications holistically, and there are no minimum grade or standardized exam score requirements. However, a high level of English proficiency will be expected.
- To apply, students must submit the online application form including one essay, three short-answer responses, an official school transcript or grade report, and one teacher recommendation letter.
- The application portal is now live.
- The deadline to submit is February 06, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.
For more details,visit the Official Website