How to become an International UN volunteer?
About the UN volunteers program
United Nations Volunteers(UNV) programme is a United Nations organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide.
It can be technical cooperation with governments, community initiatives, humanitarian relief, rehabilitation and electoral as well as peace building. Here are some numbers:
- 80% of UNV are from developing and transition countries and the remaining 20% come from the industrialized world.
- More than 55% of volunteers are assigned to Sub-Saharan Africa, 13% to Asia and the Pacific, 13% to Latin America and Caribbean, 13% to Arab States and 4% to Europe and the CIS.
- 45% of the total UN Volunteers are serving in the world’s poorest countries.
- Approximately 50% of UN Volunteers live and work outside capital cities, frequently in remote towns and villages.
Requirements to become a UN volunteer
- A university degree or higher technical diploma;
- Two years of relevant working experience;
- At least age 25 when taking up an assignment (there is no upper age limit);
- Good working knowledge in at least one of the three UNV working languages: English, French and Spanish.
In addition, you should be able to demonstrate:
- A strong commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism;
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- The ability to adjust to difficult living conditions;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset.
Short term assignments of three months or less may be required from time to time but the vast majority of assignments are based on six to twelve month renewable contracts with the expectation that the UN Volunteer will serve a year or more. Maximum length of service is four years.
In some cases, additional applications for a specific area of professional expertise or for projects which require larger numbers of UN Volunteers is seeked. Only the descriptions of assignments for such assignments are posted on the data base. Still, that is not a complete list of all current UN Volunteer opportunities.
Benefits of volunteering abroad
- Settling-in-Grant calculated on the duration of assignment, which is paid at the beginning of the assignment;
- Volunteer Living Allowance (not a salary) intended to cover basic living expenses, which is paid each month; We are talking about a well paid programme;
- Travel on appointment and at the end of assignment as applicable;
- Life, health and permanent disability insurance;
- Annual leave;
- Resettlement allowance calculated based on the duration of assignment, which is paid upon satisfactory completion of the assignment.
How to apply
United Nations Volunteer abroad
You need to register your profile in the UNV talent pool, here.The registration process takes about 45 minutes to complete and consists of two parts.
Part 1: Familiarize yourself with essential information for potential UN Volunteers and submit basic information to create your account in the UNV candidate pool. You will automatically receive a message asking you to verify your email address. By clicking on the link provided in the automated message, you activate your UNV account.
Part 2: After the successful activation of your UNV account, you will receive a second message with a link to ‘MyProfile’. Here you need to enter all the required details regarding your skills, educational qualifications and experience. Click on the “Submit My Profile” tab to complete the registration process.
As confirmation of your successful registration, you will receive a third message with your registration number and other practical information for potential candidates. Your UNV profile will only be considered for upcoming volunteer assignments after completion of this second part of the registration process.
You can update your profile at any time on this website.
UNV does not publish a list of available assignments. The majority of UNV vacancies are filled by candidates registered on this database. You may be accepted quickly, slowly… or never. But never try – never know
United Nations Volunteer in your country
The vacancy announcement provides a link where the candidate’s profile can be uploaded. Vacancies are available on this website.
For more informations visit Official website for the program