Internship at Save the Children (Deadline:07 March 2018)
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We work together, with partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Save the Children works in thirty districts in Rwanda with a current staff complement of approximately 180 staff.
SC Rwanda Country Office seeks for a Finance Intern
Position: Finance Intern
Place of Work:
Staff directly reporting to this post:
Tentative start date:April 15th 2018
Level 1 – the responsibilities of the post do not require you to have one to one contact with children or young people.
Purpose of the position
To learn from on-job training how finance resources are practically managed.
Key Learning Objectives
- Documentation of records and understand the importance of a standard filling system for the organization.
- Practise the payment process in Save the children.
- Learn how to use the Glacos system.
- Learn the accounting system used by Save the Children International
- Practise how Reconciliation is done, both bank and Petty cash
- Practise the payment review for accuracy and proper coding
- Practise the writing of cheques/transfer
- Practice how to assign “paid stamp” to payments
- Practise records keeping
- The incumbent will be able to arrange and do a standardized filing
- The incumbent will be able to interpreted the payment process
- The incumbent will be able to fill in the Glacos for various transactions
- The incumbent will have clear understanding of the accounting system
- The incumbent will be able to do cash/bank reconciliation independently
- The incumbent will be able to review vouchers for accuracy and proper coding
- The incumbent will be able to write cheques/transfers correctly
- The incumbent will be able to assign paid stamp to all payment back up sheets
- The incumbent will be able to file vouchers independently
Responsibility for resources:
- Ensure that financial information is kept with confidentiality and should not be exposed to external people
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for assets available for her /his use
- Holds self-accountable for any financial document in his/her possession
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and take responsibility for their own personal development
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, managers, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor degree in accountancy/finance/management or Equivalent.
- 1 year work experience, preferably in an NGO set up
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Highly developed relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Highly developed verbal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills
- Ability to liaise with a diverse range of people, stakeholders and customers
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- High levels of attention to detail and quality
- Computer literacy (including advanced excel skills)
PERSONAL BEHAVIOURS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Commitment to Save the Children’s mission and values
- Initiative, flexibility and ability to work independently as well as in a team
- High levels of self-motivation and initiative
- Ownership and accountability of own work
- High levels of confidentially and integrity
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, Internee, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCIs Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
- This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom Internee is responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff/Internee. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees to HR-Rwanda@savethechildren.org The deadline for receiving applications is March 7th 2018.
Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information,please visit Advert – Finance Intern
More internship opportunities