Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor -ICCO Cooperation (Deadline:September 20, 2017)
Interchurch Organization for Development Cooperation (ICCO Cooperation) is an international nongovernmental organisation founded in 1964 and implementing programs with partners in Central, Eastern and Southern Africa since the 1980s.
Our vision is a just world without poverty. A world where people claim and assume their rights in a sustainable civil society.
ICCO Cooperation is implementing the “Strengthening African Rural Smallholders (STARS)” program in collaboration with ICCO Terrafina and in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation.
STARS is a 5-year program running from 2016 to 2020, aiming to increase food security and income of smallholder farmers in Rwanda, Ethiopia, Senegal and Burkina Faso by facilitating access to financial markets and agricultural services.
Key to the program is that it strives for market-based systemic change by developing and piloting business models in value chains and value chain finance that can be replicated by independent market actors.
To strengthen its operation, ICCO would like to invite qualified applicants for the position of Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor.
Job title: Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor Rwanda and Ethiopia
Job summary: The MEL Advisor will be responsible for implementing the STARS program’s overall MEL framework into country-specific MEL plans for the two countries in collaboration with program staff
Reports to: Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Coordinator
Duty station: Rwanda
Position type: locally recruited
Contract type: Fixed term contract – one year with possibility of renewal based on performance
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the country MEL plans for Rwanda and Ethiopia are in compliance with the overall MEL framework, and continuously coordinate with the MEL Coordinator on this;
- Support country teams in the interpretation of market analyses and needs assessments, and the translation of these analyses into intervention results chains and indicator selection;
- Liaise with the MEL Advisor in West Africa for cross-country alignment of MEL systems, tools and approaches;
- Develop measurement plans including planning, sampling and stakeholder validation in the specific country context of Rwanda and Ethiopia;
- Organize, facilitate and oversee baseline surveys as well as other data collection approaches like Focus Group Discussions or Rapid Rural Appraisals;
- Participate in the development, standardization and contextualization of questionnaires and tools to collect relevant data on the program.
- Contribute to the development of Terms of Reference for studies, audits and evaluations;
- Support the execution of external impact studies that are planned for in the program;
- Support the exchange and learning with program participants. Provide support in designing and organizing workshops, progress reports and strategic reviews, as well as the communication on data collected and lessons learned;
- Give advice on and provide support to the interpretation of collected data in order to make informed decisions for improvement. Identify and suggest potential improvements to the MEL system;
- Cooperate with program staff to capture lessons learnt, best practices, expected and unexpected results, and other information to generate stakeholder reports, articles, case studies, and other documentation;
- Implement the use of tablet-based data collection.
Key result areas
- Data collection and analysis
- Information management
- Coaching and mentoring
- Capacity building of program participants
Qualifications and skills needed
- A Master’s level degree in International Development, Social Sciences, Economics or other relevant field;
- At least 3 years relevant work experience in MEL in complex programs in the international development sector;
- Strong knowledge of and experience with MEL approaches, including the set-up of MEL systems, data collection and analysis tools, and learning approaches;
- Knowledge of agricultural value chains, and working with results chains, the DCED Standard and/or the Markets for the Poor approach would be considered a very strong advantage;
- Experience in mixed-method approaches including quantitative and qualitative data;
- Experience in using mobile tools for data collection;
- Knowledge of or experience with HFIAS, PPI or AKVO FLOW would be an added benefit
- Combination of analytical skills with strong hands-on mentality, being able to translate abstract learning objectives into practical approaches that can be implemented in the field;
- Good international and/or intercultural experience, and knowledge of the social, economic and political situation in the East Africa region;
- Excellent computer skills; skilled in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint as well as cloud-based systems like Google Docs, Sheets, etcetera. Experience in using data analysis software is preferable (SPSS, other);
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Good presentation, interpersonal and networking skills;
- Entrepreneurial and commercial thinking
- Can-do mentality, pro-active, good ability to take initiative and be creative
- 40 hours a week
- 30-50% travelling to the program countries
How to apply
Please send a detailed CV, contact information of 3 most recent professional referees and a motivational letter of not more than 1 page to email@example.com as only email applications shall be considered.
All applications should be addressed to the Regional Manager Central, Eastern & Southern Africa and clearly marked: “MEL ADVISOR STARS RWANDA & ETHIOPIA” and no email should exceed 2MB.
ICCO Cooperation provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status or sexual orientation.In accordance with ICCO’s current policies, applications from women are strongly encouraged
While we thank all applicants for their interest, please note that only those selected will be contacted and any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
Download Official advert