Underwriting & Claims Manager- BRITAM INSURANCE COMPANY RWANDA (Deadline: 25 January 2018)
VACANCY: Underwriting & Claims Manager
REPORTING TO:CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The Group has interests across the East African Region and offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset Management, Banking and Property. The product range includes, life, health and general insurance, pensions, unit trusts, investment planning, wealth management, off-shore investments, retirement planning, discretionary portfolio management, property development and private equity.
We wish to fill the above position in our Rwanda Subsidiary – Britam Insurance Company (Rwanda) Ltd.
- Oversee underwriting, claims andreinsurance activities of the company
- Establish and maintain relationships with clients, intermediaries and service providers to ensure agreed service level agreements are achieved and goodwill with all stakeholders is maintained;
- Implement the underwriting and claims strategy, philosophy, policies and procedures;
- Co-ordinate and maintain expeditious and efficient processing of claims and ensure customer needs are attended to promptly
- Manage staff and resources, provide direction, set goals and ensure the department goals are attained;
- Vet all risks to ensure that only quality business is accepted into the company at acceptable rates to ensure profitability and achievement of the set loss ratio targets;
- Ensure achievement of the agreed renewals retention targets;
- Ensuring that the risks undertaken by the company are adequately covered through reinsurance programmes;
- Ensure that all claims fall within scope of respective claims policy
- Identify, appoint and maintain an efficient and effective list of service providers
- Put in place sound claims recovery/salvage disposal system
- Reviewing files to ensure reserves are accurate at all times
- Reviewing service providers performance regularly to ensure they operate as per SLAs
- The fostering and maintenance of good corporate image through liaison with competitors, intermediaries and the general public
- Contribute as a member of the management team to the development of operational policies for the achievement of the corporate plans as stipulated in the Company strategy.
- Ensure that Performance Management process is embraced and continuously being carried out within the department for effective and efficient service to the customers with a view to achieve overall company business goals in line with Company’s Business Plan.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Working Relationships – Internal & External
- Accountable to the CEO
- Directly responsible for staff working under this position
- Required to liaise and work closely with the other business heads as may be necessary
- Regulatory Authorities
- Insurance sector players
- Britam customers
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree in a business related course.
- Professional qualification in Insurance (ACII/AIIK/FLMI)
- 7-10 years successful insurance experience 3-4 of which should be in a management position
- Knowledge of insurance industry and concepts
- Knowledge of insurance regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of underwriting procedures
- Knowledge of Claims procedures
Deciding and Initiating Action: Ensures key departmental objectives are met, takes responsibility for decisions, actions, projects and people while focussing on achievement of departmental results; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; makes quick, clear decisions with limited information available which may include tough choices or considered risks; decisions and actions takes into account possible impact on all parts of the business.
Leading and Supervising: Provides the department with a clear direction based on the overall strategic intent of the organisation; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive departmental climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledge high potential talent; sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour.
Persuading and Influencing: Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating to the benefit of the department, promotes the organisational strategy during departmental conversations; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of the department; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the department’s impression and brand on others.
Formulating Strategies and Concepts: Works strategically to realise organisational goals within the department; sets and develops departmental strategies; identifies and develops positive and compelling visions of the department’s future potential; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to, the organisation; encourage others to take a strategic and long term view in terms of the department’s future; communicates the organisational strategy, vision and objectives effectively across all levels in the department.
Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking: Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the department; maintains awareness of developments, changes, trends and possible risks in the department’s structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; ensure costs are monitored and controlled and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.
Planning and Organising: Sets clearly defined departmental objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors departmental performance against deadlines and milestones.
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position and can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the criteria, please submit your online application to us on or before 25th January 2018, at https://britam.taleo.net/careersection