Title of Post: Protection Assistant
Post Number: 10024928
Duty Station: Kirehe, Rwanda
Category and Level: G-4
Duration of assignment: Initially for a period of one year
Closing date of application: 29 May 2018
The Protection Assistant normally reports to the Protection Officer or the Senior Protection
Officer. Depending on the structure of the Office, the position may also report to senior
national staff. The incumbent provides functional and administrative support to the protection unit on protection related liaison, correspondence, monitoring, case management and reporting activities.
The Protection Assistant also supports the protection unit in designing a comprehensive
protection strategy and in providing quality, timely and effective protection responses to
persons of concern. He/she may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on
correspondence and/or protection issues as guided by the supervisor.
The Protection Assistant also facilitates the involvement of persons of concern with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of
International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory,
rights and community based approaches.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and
IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Observe and respect protection related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Provide functional and administrative support in all protection related AGD based
programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Provide functional and administrative support in implementing participatory
approaches, needs assessments, monitoring, reporting and case management.
- Support assessments on durable solutions through voluntary repatriation, local
integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Facilitate liaison with competent authorities for the issuance of personal and other
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and
compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
- Select persons of concern for preliminary interviews and decide which relevant
information to share.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Completion of secondary school. Additional Training courses in protection
related issues required.
Job experience: relevant to the function: 2 years.
Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of another official UN language(s) an asset.
- Good computer skills.
SUBMISSIONS OF APPLICATIONS
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your application on
http://rwanda.unhcr.io by 29 May 2018.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. Only shortlisted candidates will be
No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates
regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Should you be asked for a fee or a benefit at any stage of this process, please report your concern to UNHCR’s Investigation Service(firstname.lastname@example.org).
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN Salaries,allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the international Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org.