Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) has killed more than 25 million people since 1981 and more than 31 million people (22 million in sub-Saharan Africa alone) are now infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which causes AIDS. There is no cure for HIV/AIDS and no vaccine against HIV infection. Consequently, prevention of HIV transmission is extremely important. Three randomized controlled trial have demonstrated that Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) reduces men’ risk of HIV acquisition by approximately 60%, making it an effective HIV prevention intervention. The WHO/UNAIDS recognizing that VMMC is an additional important intervention to reduce the risk of male heterosexually acquirer HIV infection and that recommend that male circumcision programs be scaled up in countries where there is a generalized HIV epidemic and where few men are circumcised (UNAIDS 2015). This is the reason why we need to hire Facilitators to support the HC to conduct Male circumcision campaign by using surgical method
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected:To contribute in reducing STIs and HIV/AIDS new infection among adolescents living in MAHAMA II Refugee camp,
- To provide quality male circumcision to adolescents living in MAHAMA II Refugee camp for ASRH promotion and HIV/AIDS prevention,
- To promote the access to Reproductive Health services among adolescent refugees in camp,
- To raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and STIs prevention
Qualifications and experience
- A degree in Nursing science discipline is desirable
- Certificate in Male circumcision and working experience in surgical room will be an added value
- Willingness to accept and absorb direct critique to improve work quality and results
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team
- The capacity of working well under minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
- The capacity and willingness to work well on their own initiative and respond to challenges, seeking out guidance where needed.
- Willingness to provide a report at the end of training.
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policy.
Contract length: 10 Months
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- The capacity and willingness to work well under minimum supervision
- Willingness to provide a report on daily basis
- Experience in providing surgical services
- At least 2 years Experience of Working in surgery department will be an added value
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Child Safeguarding:We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued
Interested candidates can apply by clicking on the “Apply Now” button.
The deadline for receiving applications is November 13th, 2018.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.*
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process*