ABE Initiative offers opportunities for young African men and women to study at master’s courses at Japanese universities as international students (hereafter, referred to as “participants”) and experience internships at Japanese companies. The aim is for them to develop effective skills in order for them to contribute to various fields. Beyond acquisition of skills and knowledge, this program also intends to cultivate excellent personnel who can recognize and understand the contexts of Japanese society and systems of Japanese companies. The expected outcome of the program is a network of potential contributors to the development of African industries who will also lead Japanese businesses to engage further in economic activities in Africa.
Objective: The objective of the ABE Initiative Master’s Degree and Internship Program is to support young personnel who can be a “Navigator” for contributing to the development of industries in Africa.
Application : Applications will be open soon
Target participants are from among the following three types of personnel.
Persons from the Private Sector : Young individuals who are or will be involved in economic activities in the local private sector maintaining and developing strong ties with Japanese companies.
Governmental Officials : Young officials, such as civil servants, who take part in governance and policy-making in order to enhance industries to whose development Japanese companies can contribute, and has a recommendation by a Japanese company.
Educators : Young individuals who are responsible for educating in Higher Education and TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training) institutions in Africa, in order to enhance capacity building in related industries, and has a recommendation by a Japanese company.
Since the start of the initiative, the number of woman participants has been limited. Woman participants are encouraged to apply for the program.
- Citizens of one of the 54 African countries
- Between 22 and 39 years old (as of April 1st in the year of your arrival in Japan)
- Bachelor’s degree (equivalent to at least 16 years of academic background)
- Applicants for the category of “Government Officials” and “Educators” are required:
– to have more than 6 months working experience at their current organizations, and
– to obtain permission for application and securing reinstatement from their current organizations.
- Have adequate English skills both in written and oral communication to complete the master’s course.
- Clearly understand the objectives of this program, and to have a strong will to contribute to the industrial development of their home countries as well as to strengthen the linkage between their countries and Japan after returning home.
- Applicants must:
– be in good health condition to complete the program,
– not receive or plan to receive a scholarship offered by other foreign organizations, and
– attend the activities on the weekends in unavoidable circumstances (ex. official exam).
It is expected that the duration of stay in Japan will be a maximum of 3 years. (6 months as a research student, 2 years as a student for master course and 6 months as an intern)
For more information,please visit https://www.jica.go.jp/english/countries/africa/