Applications for the 2019 NDM Summer Internship programme are now open.The Nuffield Department of Medicine offers opportunities for summer internships to undergraduate and Masters students from some of our key collaborating countries. We currently offer several fully-funded awards to students from China, Japan, Mexico, Brazil and Africa. You will get the opportunity to work in a laboratory environment with an Oxford University Principal Investigator (PI) and their team in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine for a period of approximately eight weeks. You will also get the opportunity to live in Oxford – one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the UK.
- You should be considering applying to undertake doctoral-level research within one of NDM’s research themes
- You must be from one of the countries mentioned below (see Funding)
- You should have an excellent GPA
- You should be fluent in English
- You must be available to come to Oxford for approximately 8 weeks during the summer, preferably for July & August 2019 (please indicate the period when you would be available when you apply)
How to apply
Application deadline 28 February 2019.
NDM Summer Internship programme is open to outstanding students about to enter the final year of their undergraduate science degree of final year of a Masters degree in the biological or medical sciences. You are welcome to contact one of Principal Investigators (PIs) with whom you are interested in working, but it is not compulsory to contact them before you apply.
Please refer to the list of supervisors who are interested in hosting a summer intern.
Interviews will take place 12 and 15 April 2019.
- Immunology & infectious disease
- Cancer biology
- Physiology, cellular & molecular biology
- Genetics & genomics
- Protein science & structural biology
- Tropical medicine & global health
Requirements for NDM Summer Internship programme
You should email (Protected) the following information:
- A 300 word summary of your research interests/aspirations, including the name of the PIs/labs you would like to join for the summer internship from the list of available projects.
- Your CV, which should include your current GPA (and ideally a TOEFL/IELTS score)
- A letter of support from your supervisor/programme manager (confirming your class ranking/GPA)
- Dates that you are available to begin the internship
This year the department has several country-specific awards for internships. The awards will cover the travel and living costs for a two-month internship in a departmental research laboratory. The scholarship awarded is to the value of £3,000. Accommodation will be arranged at an Oxford college for students funded through these awards and accommodation costs will be deducted from the award and paid to the college on your behalf. The accommodation provided is basic and cannot be altered once students have arrived. The award payments will be made in regular installments after your arrival in the UK.
- Funding for students from Japan: the department has funding for up to three students from Japanese universities.
- Funding for students from China: the department receives funding from the Victor and William Fung Foundation for approximately five students per year.
- Funding for students from Brazil: the department has funding for up to three students from Brazilian universities.
- Funding for students from Mexico: internships are also available for up to three students from Mexico.
- Funding for students from Africa: up to five internships are available (supported by the AfOx initiative) to applicants who have been legally resident in an African country for at least one year out of the last five years. These internships will include support for travel costs as well as living costs while in Oxford.
Please note that the number of awards available is restricted and that this is therefore a competitive application process. Fulfilling the criteria listed above does not guarantee you an award.
Well-qualified students who are not eligible to apply for the NDM Summer Internship programme above may wish to get in touch with a PI directly to inquire about any other opportunities and funding that may be available in their labs. Students funded directly by a PI would be responsible for arranging their own accommodation in Oxford, although the department can offer help and suggestions.
For more information,please visit https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/internships