Open Africa Power is an education venture initiated by Enel Foundation in 2018 in partnership with top Academic institutions in Italy and Africa, aiming to forge a new generation of African leaders deeply engaged with their countries clean energy future.
Open Africa Power Program provides high-profile African graduates with a holistic knowhow of the electricity sector, enhancing the technical, regulatory and business skills required to work in the private and public sector towards the electrification of Africa.
This collaborative program brings together Enel Foundation, Strathmore University, the University of Addis Ababa, Politecnico di Torino, Politecnico di Milano, Bocconi University and Florence School of Regulation.
The 2019 edition will engage up to 60 African students and alumni in a series of professional development and leadership activities, comprising residential modules in Ethiopia and Italy.
African Module: State of the Art
This five-day module will start on January 28th and end on February 1st, 2019. It will take place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The module will explore the fundamentals of the global electricity sector through the lenses of Sustainable development goals. It will cover the following areas:
- Networks technology, regulation, economics;
- Renewables technology, regulation, economics;
- ICT digitalization of the electricity industry
The faculty will consist of local and international experts, as well as employees of Enel.
Online Module and Exams
The online module Regulation for Universal Access to Energy will start on February 11th and will end on June 24th 2019. This course will enable the learners to gain a comprehensive vision on how to design appropriate policy and regulatory framework needed to ensure sustainable energy for all. Students, after the African Module, will be asked to put forward a research abstract on a specific aspect/solution for the electricity sector in Africa that can become a key element in the race from poverty to prosperity for the entire Continent or for a specific country. The top twenty per cent participants of the course, based on valuation of their abstract and class interactions will be invited to attend the Italian module.
Italian Module: New Frontiers
Lasting two weeks in June 2019, this module will take place in Italy. Learners will explore the new frontiers of the electricity sector, sharing knowledge and experience innovation first hand. They will be called to actively interact with prestigious academic partners and research representatives, meet with government, business, and non-profit leaders; engage in a dialogue around issues of Africa’s clean energy future; and visit sites where innovative technologies are a reality in the electricity space
Give Back Module
Upon completion of the Italian module, alumni will be involved in teaching activities related to Enel Foundation education initiatives in Africa.
The Open Africa Power selection process is an open, merit-based, competition. The application period opens on October 25th, 2018, and closes on November 26th, 2018.
To be eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 24 and 35 by January, 2019;
- Be a citizen of an African country;
- Currently resident in an African country or planning to relocate in Africa within the end of 2019;
- Be eligible to travel to Italy in case of admission to the second module;
- Have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Law or Business from an African University;
- Have an admission letter to or being a student of a PhD MSc, LLM, MPP or MBA degree from an African University;
- Have a demonstrated interest in the electricity sector in the African Continent;
- Be fully proficient in English.
How to Apply
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should send in the following items:
- A copy of their CV;
- Copy of their BSc or MSc, MBA, MPP, LLM academic records/transcript;
- A copy of their Passport;
- A motivation letter;
- Three references from industry, academia and/or civil servant representatives.
email@example.comInquiries regarding the program must also be sent to .
For more information,please visit https://www.enelfoundation.org/en/news/open-africa-power-2019–the-call-for-application-is-now-open