The Capacity Development & Employment Unit (CD&E) is responsible for the implementation of the National Employment Program (NEP) that is the government’s main strategy for improving the employability of the country’s population. The unit has been recently moved to the Rwanda Development Board (RDB), the government’s main investor outreach and business interface agency. As part of the RDB, CD&E is better positioned to ensure that the skills development it coordinates is better aligned with identified needs within the private sector.
The Advisor will be based in RDB’s CD&E, working closely with the Head of Capacity Development and Employment.
The Advisor will provide assistance to RDB to enhance cross-ministerial collaboration and accountability for strategic planning in skills development and to improve the implementation of action plans to build skills for growth through the following tasks:
- Support CD&E to coordinate the implementation of the skills development strategies and skills development annual action plans with special focus on economic sectors (Energy; Agro-processing; and Transport & Logistics)
- Leverage the TBI network to source technical assistance for quality assurance of other sector’s skills audit reports that are in line with national priorities
- Advise on using the information from the sector skills audit reports to design responsive skills development action plans and education programs
- Support the oversight and coordination of the implementation of the National Skills Development and Employment Promotion Strategy
- Provide strategic support to RDB to integrate key elements of the action plans for Energy, Agro-processing, Transport & Logistics, and potentially others, in the annual National Employment Program Joint Performance Contract (NEP JPC) and to ensure that the implementation of the action plans proceeds as expected with positive results for skills and employment development
- Advise in the establishment of a skills database and updating mechanisms
- Provide technical assistance in the analysis of statistics of work and employment and support in the drafting of analytical reports and policy briefs related
- Coach and mentor the counterpart team at CD&E
The Advisor is expected to contribute significantly to the following CD&E outputs:
- Quality assured skills development annual action plans with special focus on the economic sectors (Energy; Agro-processing; and Transport & Logistics). Specific milestones to include: (i) skills development plans mainstreamed and closely monitored in the economic sector strategies (at Sector Ministry level) and (ii) UR and RP programs developed and accredited in line with information from the skills audit action plans.
- At least two quality assured reports of other sectors skills audits commissioned by CD&E/ RDB that are in line with national priorities
- An approved National Skills Development and Employment Promotion Strategy with a clear M&E framework with quarterly reporting on progress of its implementation
- A clear and approved M&E framework and quarterly reporting to closely track implementation of the NEP JPC that is aimed at encouraging collaboration across government ministries to achieve targets that require joint action by multiple ministries.
- Labour and employment analytical reports with clear proposals for how to improve skills and development resulting from the analysis of labour surveys and other labour research projects
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Master’s degree, preferably with specialization/expertise in either Economics, Labour Economics, Econometrics and ideally within a developmental context.
- Should have at least 5 years of experience in similar assignments.
- Demonstrable experience in quality assurance of analytical work/studies in skills assessments, audits, skills forecasting and labour market surveys.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Preference for individuals with work experience in institutions that have a mandate/context similar to CD&E
- Preference for individuals with work experience in Africa and/or other similar contexts like Rwanda
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills (in English). Knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization
- Drive, motivation and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and build capacity of national counterparts
- Strong IT literacy
VALUES WE LOOK FOR:
- COURAGE… because to tackle global challenges, we must innovate and take smart risks
- COLLABORATION… because when we work together and with external partners, we can overcome even the largest problems
- COMPASSION … because our work is ultimately about improving people’s lives
How to apply
In order to apply please complete an online application form which includes uploading your CV (no longer than 2 pages) and completing a 300 word personal statement.
Beware of scammers-Remember that you should never have to pay for anything to get a job.
-Don't give out your credit card or bank account information over the phone to a company unless you're familiar with them and have agreed to pay for something. Anyone who has your account information can use it.
-If a company or organization is mentioned in an ad contact that company or check the official website to find out if the company really is hiring.