VLIR-UOS supports 15 development relevant International Master Programmes organised at one of the five Flemish universities. The International Master Programmes are accredited (initial or advanced) Master programmes of one or two years (60 or 120 ECTS) on a development-relevant subject. The programmes have a specific but non-exclusive focus on participants from the global South:
• Master of Development Evaluation and Management (Antwerp University)
• Master of Globalization and Development (Antwerp University)
• Master of Governance and Development (Antwerp University)
• Master of Human Settlements (KU Leuven)
• Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies (KU Leuven)
• Master of Science in Food Technology (KU Leuven, Ghent University)
• Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes) (VUB, Antwerp University, Ghent University)
• Master of Epidemiology (Antwerp University)
• Master of Agro-and Environmental Nematology (Ghent University)
• Master of Rural Development (Ghent University)
• Master of Statistics (Hasselt University)
• Master of Aquaculture (Ghent University)
• Master of Water Resources Engineering (KU Leuven, VUB)
• Master of Sustainable Territorial Development (KU Leuven)
• Master of Transportation Sciences (Hasselt University)
VLIR-UOS supports each Master programmes with 12 scholarships. Interested candidates can apply for a fully-fledged scholarship for the academic year 2019-2020 through the website of the organising universities.
You can only apply for a scholarship if you meet the following requirements:
- Nationality and country of residence: A candidate should be a national and resident of one of the 31 eligible countries (not necessarily the same country) at the time of the application.
- Age: The maximum age for a master programme candidate is 35 for an initial master and 40 for an advanced master. The candidate cannot exceed this age on the first of January of the intake year.
- Professional background and experience: Priority is given to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, the social economy or NGOs, or who aim at a career in one of these sectors. However, master candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience can be eligible for the scholarship as well, depending on their motivation and profile.
- Fungibility with other VLIR-UOS funding: Candidates working in a university where we already fund IUC, TEAM or SI projects, can receive an ITP-ICP scholarship if they clearly motivate the reason of their application and clarify why the participation at the ICP programme cannot be funded as part of the existing IUC, Team or SI programme or project funds.
- VLIR-UOS scholarship applications and previously awarded scholarships: A candidate can only submit one scholarship application to us per year – irrespective of the scholarship type – and can therefore only be selected for one of our scholarships per year.
- The Master programme candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master programme or equivalent or was never enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution to attend a master programme or equivalent before the first of January of the intake year.
Between 1 February 2019 and 1 March 2019 (depending on the programme)
Official site : https://www.vliruos.be/en/open_calls/23