TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
The Rwanda Ikawa Nziza Cyane (INC) project seeks to equip coffee washing stations (CWS), exporters, and government agencies with new tools, strategies, and policies to drive greater efficiencies and unlock new market opportunities in specialty coffee. Funded by the European Union in conjunction with Rwanda’s MINECOFIN, the Rwanda INC project will run for 4 years beginning in November, 2020. Some of the primary project components include (1) digital tools for CWS business management and farm extension monitoring; (2) new mechanisms for input financing and distribution (e.g., fertilizer, lime, new varieties); and (3) a strengthened coffee value chain through industry briefs, strategies, and proposed quality standards for uptake by government and exporters.
TechnoServe seeks two (2) Business Advisors: Digital Farm and CWS Support to support the successful implementation of Rwanda INC’s ambitious impact agenda. This role will provide technical and advisory support to extension agents, CWS managers, exporters, and allies throughout the value chain to create value for farmers and coffee businesses, alike.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Engage CWS and cooperative leadership in identifying challenges associated with farm records, farmer extension services, CWS operations, business planning and strategy, and general management.
- Work with the TechnoServe Digital Specialist to identify and assess relevant tools and technologies delivering value to farmers, cooperative leadership, CWS managers, exporters, and government agencies.
- Co-design and support the roll out of relevant digital tools to enable (1) enhanced extension services monitoring and management; and (2) improved business analytics for management and reporting.
- Lead training sessions for all interested players (e.g., exporters, CWS, youth sustainability interns) for a menu of digital tools.
- Manage subsequent follow-up, trouble-shooting support, and ongoing enhancements of the digital offerings.
- Support development, buy-in and roll-out of minimum quality and sustainability standards for Rwandan coffee. Work with CWS, exporters, training partners, and relevant regulatory bodies to enable a system of audits.
- Support the development and roll-out of new input sales and distribution models.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, business, or a related field.
- At least three years’ professional experience in one or more of the following areas: agriculture, small and medium enterprise development, project management, community development
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills.
- Experience providing technical training and support in related field.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Technical skills required to do this job.
- Strong planning abilities; prior experience working to tight and strict deadlines
- Familiarity with coffee value chain actors (especially coffee washing stations)
- Comfortable translating data analysis into business insights
- Familiarity with ICT tools
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations that require minimal supervision.
- Strong networking skills
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English preferred
- Ability to travel to remote rural locations.
- 100% Domestic
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- High integrity and honesty
- Flexible and able to maintain effective relationships and networks
- Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn
- Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts
- Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations, both verbally and in written communication
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Results oriented
- Effective time management and planning
- Strong business acumen
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.