PhD Studies at the African Center of Excellence in Internet of Things (ACEIoT)
The Management of the University of Rwanda (UR) through its African Center of Excellence in IoT (ACEIoT) at College of Science and Technology (CST) is offering PhD programs in Internet of Things
The Africa Center of Excellence in Internet of Things (ACEIoT) is established at the University of Rwanda (UR), College of Science and Technology with financial support from the World Bank ACE II project. UR-ACEIoT aims to train a critical mass of African Scientists and Engineers in the field of IoT through Higher Education and Research. This provides a great opportunity for African students to enroll in multidisciplinary post-graduate programs in the field of IoT. ACEIoT will build on UR’s existing collaborations with the local and international partners, including Carnegie Mellon University in Rwanda, and the International Center for Theoretical Physics, Italy. This ensures that the training will be conducted by a truly global faculty.
Programmes for PhD Fellowship
ACEIoT supports PhD fellowships through full or partial scholarships in the following programs :
1) PhD in IoT with Specialization in Wireless Intelligent Sensor Networking
2) PhD in IoT with Specialization in Embedded Computing Systems
Research topics should focus towards the development of new innovative approaches and solutions with relevance to the ESA priority domains, focusing on low-cost, open and sustainable solutions. The Research outcome should describe an overall working system/product/prototype or a real world deployment experience. Solutions to real world problems faced by the East and Southern African region would be of particular interest.
Duration for the PhD programme
The duration of the PhD programme will be four years.
College and Campus of Programme offering :
College of Science and Technology, Nyarugenge Campus
Mode of Attendance :
Full-time PhD Programme by research and dissertation/thesis
Payments and Fee Structure for Postgraduate studies :
See the University fee structure downloadable from the University of Rwanda’s website : https://ur.ac.rw/?Fee-structure-and-payment-information
Scholarship Opportunities :
There are few full and partial scholarship opportunities available on a competitive basis for eligible candidates from Eastern and Southern Africa Region (Rwanda, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Burundi, Mozambique, Uganda, and Zambia).
Note : Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Key dates :
- Application deadline : 14th June, 2019
- Notification of selection : 5th July 2019
- Registration and Commencement of class : 16th September, 2019
Eligibility criteria :
- Applicants must have an MSc degree in the relevant discipline of Engineering/Technology (Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering) and applicants should have scored a minimum of Second Class Upper division or equivalent at the Bachelor’s level.
- Second Class Upper division is equivalent to a cumulative average > 70% Preference will be given to candidates with work experience in the related field.
- Applicants must submit a research concept note relevant to the PhD degree sought. The concept note should not exceed 2000 words. The concept note should clearly define the research problem, elucidate research done so far to address the problem with annotated references, identify gaps, justify the research work to be done, formulate clear objectives, methods, and indicate expected outcomes, how the outcome will tackle problems related to the priority domains such as agriculture, energy, health, etc focusing on low-cost, open and sustainable solutions. Applicants should also submit a copy of the abstract of their Master’s thesis as well as copies of their scientific publications.
- Applicants are encouraged to interact with one or more of our research faculty to identify a possible main supervisor and, informally, meets/corresponds with him or her, or else ACEIoT assists to identify an appropriate main supervisor and introduces him or her to the candidate at the time of admissions.
Please visit the following link for more details http://www.ur.ac.rw/?q=content/admissions-phd-programs-internet-things from the University of Rwanda website
Documents Required for Application :
- A cover letter indicating for which program of study the application is being made and description of the motivation to join the program
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- Notarized Masters and Bachelor’s degrees and transcripts
- Recommendation letters from at least two academic referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant.
- Support letter from employer (if any).
- Copies of valid identification card and/or passport.
- Sponsorship letter from an organization (if any).
- Applicants from countries where English is not the medium of instruction must provide an English proficiency certificate from a relevant body or institution in their respective countries.
- Research Concept note relevant to the PhD degree sought
- Master’s thesis abstract
- Copies of Publications
- A proof of payment of non-refundable application fee 10,000RWF for nationals and members of East African Community (EAC) and 12,000 RWF for other. The application fees are payable to the University Account Number : UR/ACE-IOT 00094-07744800-77/RWF Bank of Kigali.
- Proof that you have applied for Equating Foreign Qualifications at higher educational council (HEC) of Rwanda for applicants from outside Rwanda and Rwandans who obtained their degrees outside Rwanda.
Candidates are requested to fill in the Online application in the following link https://aceiot.ur.ac.rw/?q=content/application-form-phd-studies-aceiot-intake-2019and also submit a soft copy in PDF format as one document (merging all the listed documents in a single file) to Mrs Jocelyne MUTAGANDA, the Postgraduate Studies Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the Head of PhD Studies of ACEIoT at (email@example.com)
All selected applicants will be notified through email. If you are not notified, it means that your application was not successful.
Incomplete applications will not be processed
For more information please visit our website : http://aceiot.ur.ac.rw.
Dr. Celestin NTIVUGURUZWA
Acting Director of UR Centre for Postgraduate studies
PhD Studies at the African Center of Excellence in Internet of Things(ACEIoT)
Click to see more details