Terms of Reference for HDP Communication Officer
Position duration: 1 year or more
Location: HDP office, Rwanda
Health Development and Performance (HDP) is a registered Rwandan organization established in 2006. HDP is the only local NGO with a long experience in the health financing approach known as Performance-Based Finance (PBF) in Health. HDP worked on PBF from the pilot stage to its scale up at a national level and supported more than 15 other African countries. HDP has been involved in PBF inception, training, implementation and evaluation.
During the past 7 years, HDP implemented the project on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for youth between 10-24 years old. HDP is keen on changing the lives of our young people, empowers them in growing into self-sufficient young men and women by becoming entrepreneurs.
HDP has a model health center and 2 health posts. HDP has piloted a sustainability program to support health facilities to continue offering qualities services to its population in this period of reduced external funding. The organization believes in adapting solutions to fit the changing context such as reduced funding. HDP designs innovative and sustainable solutions to ensure a better life for Rwandans in particular and Africans in general. The organization is also increasingly expanding its operations in various African countries to support the creation of similar initiatives.
The SWOT analysis conducted by Health Development and Performance (HDP) staff during our recent strategic planning process revealed the need for strong advocacy and raising awareness. Therefore, HDP is recruiting a resource mobilization specialist and a communication officer to document HDP’s achievements and best practices and share them across a range of stakeholders and audiences including but not limited to donors, government, other NGOs, and beneficiaries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
This person will be responsible for creating exposure opportunities by enhancing the visibility of HDP Rwanda:
- Develop communication materials for the HDP programs, regularly create and send out a monthly newsletter through the website postings showcasing current projects, research, best practices, and publicity.
- Update regularly the HDP’s website content
- Create awareness using digital communications products and channels including social media, videos, infographics (a visual representation of information and data, e.g. as a chart or diagram.), analytics, email marketing and marketing campaigns.
- Increase HDP’s social media presence and continuously providing appropriate content on social media outlets such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, WordPress blogs, etc.
- Develop easy-to-understand digital content to explain HDP’s core work and results, with a focus on demonstrating results.
- Help develop a strategy to extend HDP’s reach in Rwanda and other African countries.
- Manage public relations and promote HDP opportunities and activities through local, regional and international media
- Collaborate in creation with video producer, email specialist, photographers, graphic designers, and external agencies, as required
- Monitor and address risks and/or leverage opportunities of HDP brand across media channels
- Use M&E skills to analyze collected data, interpret, document and guide the project implementation
- Write concept notes and Participate in proposals writings in collaboration with other HDP staff team,
- Under the direction of HDP Direction develop advocacy related products and dissemination strategies to support the early stages of project implementation, Health centers and health Post activities; and HIM achievements
- Support other HDP departments with other tasks, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree, knowledge of Communication and a good understanding of health are required.
- Strong English writing skills; Fluency in Kinyarwanda is required, Knowledge of French will be an advantage
- 2 years’ work experience in marketing, advertising, journalism, photography, corporate communications, civil society/NGO or other types of externally facing digital communications.
- Prior experience in international development agencies and/or global education is preferred
- Understanding of media and journalism networks in developing country markets, with experience developing communications materials for a range of audiences.
- Creative skills in media content, knowledge of photographer is necessary
- Experience in website design or management, ideally including familiarity with WordPress platforms and basic knowledge of HTML
- Experience managing social media accounts and/or editing a blog for an organization
- Skills in graphic design, e.g. Adobe Create Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), and/or background in fine arts
- Experience planning events, e.g. coordinating logistics, contracting with vendors and liaising with speakers
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills for monitoring and Evaluation duties
- Excellent relationship builder with cultural sensitivity who can interact diplomatically and effectively with individuals of various ranks and backgrounds
- Highly organized, energetic, and motivated a person who can meet multiple deadlines under pressure
- Track record of innovation and achievement in academics or work history
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined, creative, excellent organizational skills, proven the ability to perform multiple tasks, and ability to work with both internal and external constituencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to work in a team environment.
She or He will report to the Executive Director.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV to email@example.com
Subject line: “HDP Communication Officer”
Timeline: submit before 20th June 2019