Consultant to support Rwanda Horticulture Group
- Kigali, Rwanda
- Contract type: Consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, SNV has built a long-term, local presence in 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services, empowering them to break the cycle of poverty, and guide their own development.
Currently implementing 25 horticulture projects worldwide, SNV actively engages with the private sector, being convinced of the crucial role private sector has in furthering horticulture value chains for both domestic and international markets. SNV’s Inclusive Business approach combines private sector development with inclusive growth objectives. Reducing food losses and increasing value chain efficiencies, improving food safety, inclusion of entrepreneurial small holders, climate smart agriculture and other themes play an important role in all our horticulture projects.
Under the funding of the Government of Netherlands (Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands – EKN) SNV together with 4 consortium partners, Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Holland Green-Tech, Agriterra, and The Sustainable Trade Initiative (IDH), are implementing the HortInvest project. The project’s overall objective is to develop the horticulture sector in Rwanda, with a specific focus on six target districts in the North-Western part of the country (i.e. Muhanga, Karongi, Rutsiro, Rubavu, Nyabihu and Ngororero). One of the four components of the project is the Enabling Environment, which is entrusted with the task of contributing to a conducive environment for horticulture sector development. Facilitation of collaboration and consultation among horticulture stakeholders falls under the objectives of this component.
The RHWG was established in August 2015 as platform for all stakeholders, both public and private, with an active interest in the horticulture sector to dialogue on the development of the horticulture sector in the country, and it has largely been spearheaded by the National Agriculture Export Development Board (NAEB).
The RHWG requested HortInvest for support to strengthen its operations, to become a well-established, well-functioning, coordinated and active public-private multi-stakeholder dialogue platform for the horticulture sector in Rwanda, contributing to the envisioned strategic goals for agricultural transformation and servicing the export as well as the domestic market.
During consultation with the RHWG board and its members, it was agreed to establish a RHWG secretariat with a dedicated coordinator (hereafter referred to as the secretary) to operationalize it. The consultant will support the RHWG in the role of secretary and will take care of the operational, organizational, administrative, reporting and communication tasks, and will support the RHWG Board and the Advisory Committee in ensuring smooth and efficient functioning of the RHWG.
- MSc degree in horticulture, agriculture and/or agricultural development economics, or any equivalent;
- At least 10 years professional working experience in fields relevant and related to the scope of work described
- Knowledge about agriculture development, particularly in the horticulture sector.
- Proven experience in public and private sector engagement and facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes with different stakeholder groups;
- Proven extensive network in the food domain in general and in the horticulture sector in Rwanda and the region;
- Experience in project implementation and project management;
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
- Result oriented and self-motivated team player;
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills;
- Good communication and facilitation skills;
- Ability and flexibility to work in multi-disciplinary, international teams;
- Curious, open to learn and interested in change processes;
- Gender sensitive;
Excellent spoken and written English and Kinyarwanda; French language skills are a plus
- To support the RHWG Board and its Advisory Committee in ensuring smooth and efficient functioning of RHWG;
- To coordinate the organization of quarterly and annual RHWG meetings, and RHWG Board and Advisory Committee meetings;
- To act as a central point of contact to facilitate communication between members of the RHWG, other interested stakeholders and the public, and to report back to the RHWG Board;
- To stimulate and support the relevant authorities and other organizations in providing key data, management information and reporting, as required by the RHWG;
- To coordinate, keep track of, promote and communicate about the activities of the RHWG;
- To support the RHWG Board to develop the RHWG strategic plan and an action plan, and follow up their implementation;
- To support the RHWG Board to develop a RHWG sustainability strategy.
Duration : 6 months (60 days) with a possibility of extension. The secretary for the RHWG will delegate in total 10 days per month to this assignment.
Coordination and supervision
The consultant will perform his/her duty in close collaboration and coordination with the assigned HortInvest Advisor for Enabling Environment and Wageningen University & Research Liaison Officer. Hortinvest Team leader or his delegate.
Mode of application
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by clicking on the apply button and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system. Please send your application letter and CV (both in English) that contains three referees with position title as subject / reference. Deadline for submission is on August 15,2019.
National are eligible to apply.
Note: SNV shall inform ONLY successful applicant(s).