Job Title – Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist
Division – Special Project Implementation Unit
Reporting to – Administratively reporting to RHFP Project Coordinator and functionally reporting to the Chief Risk officer
Duration – Two (2) year fixed term (renewable)
The Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist to be hired for the Special Project Implementation Unit will be responsible for developing, coordinating and overseeing environmental and social policies and procedures, as well as reviewing and appraising proposed investments/project activities for compliance with the national environmental and social requirements as well as the World Bank’s environmental and social safeguards policies.
S/he will work with SPIU project teams and clients on the implementation of the Project. S/he will formulate recommendations and requirements for client action and will also monitor the environmental and social performance of operations in the SPIU funded portfolio.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities shall include but not limited to:
- Work with other departments within BRD to ensure that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover the safeguards policies of projects in preparation and implementation of the projects under the SPIU portfolio;
- Support the design and implementation of operations, ensuring that the financed projects and other activities are socially and environmentally sustainable, and comply with BRD and the World Bank’s social and environmental safeguards policies and good international industry practices (GIIP);
- Undertake screening and due diligence of all projects proposed for financing under the SPIU portfolio to determine scope and severity of risks and impacts as well as the level of environmental and social analysis, including mitigation measures needed;
- During all phases of the sub-project continuously identify significant potential social and environmental impacts and risks of a subproject or investment;
- Design a simple but robust safeguard monitoring system, including easily measurable indicators, at BRD and lead on the monitoring of implementation of the relevant safeguards instruments during all phases of the subprojects or investments;
- Design and incorporate safeguards management/remediation plans and feasible and cost-effective measures to avoid, minimize, and mitigate potential adverse environmental and social impacts likely to be associated with any investments under SPIU portfolio.
- Supervise and support projects technically to ensure full compliance with implementation of mitigation measures by the proponents/recipients of the investments;
- Review and approve corrective action plans (CAR) for sub-projects found to be non-compliant with the environmental and social safeguards policies and mitigation measures;
- Identify and report on environmental and social safeguards implementation performance of sub-projects/investments, particularly those with high safeguards sensitivity;
- Develop safeguards capacity building programs and administer safeguard training to staff, and continuously provide technical assistance (TA) and capacity building to existing and potential customers;
- Ensure that the client understands the national environmental and social regulations, BRD and World Bank’s safeguards policies, guidelines and project-specific safeguards requirements, and has the necessary commitment and capacity to manage social and environmental impacts and/or risks adequately;
- Identify and advise on areas of work beyond safeguards where safeguards and environmental sustainability may be catalyzers for new lending products;
- Contribute significantly to advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building, with regard to the World Bank’s environmental and social safeguards policies, including the World Bank policy on information disclosure;
- Prepare periodic reports (quarterly and annually) on the status of environmental and social compliance of investment projects funded under the SPIU;
- Work with (provide support to) local authorities and projects developers in establishing appropriate sub-project level grievance redress mechanisms/systems for managing (collecting, registering, responding to, feedbacking, etc.) grievances, conflicts and disputes;
- Work on any other assignment from either BRD’s Management or immediate supervisor regarding the E& S safeguards of the Bank.
EDUCATION, SPECIFIC SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Environmental engineering, Environmental management, Environmental sciences, Social Development or related field.
- A masters’ degree will be an added advantage.
- Experience and skills
- Experience and skills shall include but not limited to:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience S&E management.
- Familiarity with World Bank Environmental and Social Safeguards Policies will be an added advantage.
- Analytical and design skills,
- Ability to work independently, to develop and present sound technical information skills.
Competencies shall include but not limited to:
- Demonstrated team leadership and high organizational skills;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Ability to coordinate group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear;
- An in-depth understanding of the local, regional and international social and environmental contexts and challenges;
- Ability to advise BRD and the SPIU on areas of improvement in the S&E field.
Interested candidate should apply online (https://www.brd.rw/careers/) and upload application documents including Curriculum Vitae, copy of ID, copies of degree certificates and professional certificates, motivation letter, names of three previous supervisors (as one document) as well as their emails and telephone.
Only online applications shall be considered.
Email only for inquiries (not application): email@example.com
Address all applications to the Head, Human Capital and Corporate Services of the Development Bank of Rwanda.
Deadline for application: Tuesday, January 12th, 2021.
The employment package is highly competitive/attractive.
Only Candidates with the right qualifications and relevant experience shall be shortlisted and contacted for interviews.