Applications are now accepted for the fully funded Erasmus Mundus scholarships for the next academic year of the EMJMD ACES+. This is a full-time master’s program with full scholarship for European and international students.
The Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Aquaculture, Environment and Society Plus (EMJMD ACES+) will give you a unique opportunity to study in up to four centres of European excellence in aquaculture research and learning; Scotland, Crete, France and the Netherlands. It will also allow you to gain the practical and theoretical skills needed for a successful career in aquaculture through industry-led research programmes, internships and fieldwork.
Erasmus Mundus scholarships are supported by the EACEA of the European Union.
Deadline: February 14, 2020
Erasmus Mundus scholarships cover tuition fees, travel and living expenses.
There are a limited number of scholarships provided by MOWI and the Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre (SAIC). These scholarships are open to applicants who meet the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) residence eligibility criteria as a Scottish/EU student, and cover the cost of annual tuition fees and insurance (€2500 per academic year). Students must agree to undertake their research dissertation (4th semester) in partnership will a MOWI OR SAIC consortium industry company.
- Applications from EU and non-EU applicants are welcome – the course is aimed at students from all over the world.
- If you are interested in applying for a place on the course please study the eligibility requirements below::
The Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in AquaCulture, Environment and Society (EMJMD ACES+) is open to students who meet the following minimum conditions:
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent; second class or higher at Honours level) in one of the fields of biological or environmental sciences. An appropriate background could include; aquaculture-related studies, marine science and/or resources, aquatic biology, biology, or environmental sciences linked to the field of marine science and fisheries; and
- For non-UK students, a Secure English Language Test (i.e. IELTS) certificate (applicants must achieve an overall score of 6.5 in this test and a minimum of 6.0 in all four components).
They particularly welcome applications from mature students and/or those with practical working experience in the aquaculture industry.
To apply for a place on our next intake (2020-2022) you will need to complete in full two application forms – a University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) and ACES application form. If you are eligible to apply for a SAIC scholarship, please ensure you complete this form as well. Once you have completed the forms, please email these, along with all supporting documents, as a single PDF file to Helen Bury at ACES@sams.ac.uk by 14 February 2020.
Supporting documents include your CV, professional reference letter, copy of your degree certificates and transcripts (with certified translations in English where applicable), main passport page and evidence of English language proficiency.
If you obtained your degree from a university or institution from outside the United Kingdom, they will normally accept the equivalent qualification from a recognised university. If you are uncertain about whether your qualification(s) and/or experience are equivalent to or meet the requirements of the course, please contact us.
Application forms must be completed in English and can be downloaded here:
The following documents should be emailed as a single PDF file:
- Completed EMJMD ACES+ application form (in Microsoft Word) in English, which must include a 350-word motivation (or personal) statement and 350-word statement giving information or examples of your previous experience in the field of aquaculture;
- Completed UHI International application form (applicable to ALL students, including European). This is a standard UHI form which must be completed in English. Please note, for the section on ‘Course Details’ please insert UHI-SAMS and please leave blank the ‘Personal Statement’ as this information collected in your EMJMD ACES+ application form, as above;
- Curriculum vitae (CV) in freestyle format;
- A professional reference (of 500-800 words) – please see section on Professional References for further guidance on how this should be prepared;
- Copy of your passport;
- Copy of your degree certificate (plus certified translation into English if applicable);
- Copy of your transcript of marks (plus certified translation into English if applicable); and
- Copy of your Secure English Language Test (i.e. IELTS) certificate, which is valid until the end of Sept 2020. You must achieve an overall score of 6.5 in your IELTS test and have obtained this qualification by the time you apply for the EMJMD ACES+ course).
Please read the information about statements and references.
For more information, please visit Erasmus Mundus.