Educate! is seeking a superb Finance Coordinator to work in our operations department in Rwanda. As a Finance Coordinator, you will be responsible for maintaining the accounts records in compliance to Educate! procedures, preparing internal & external financial reports, and preparing and recommending budget procedures. She/he will also be responsible for providing termly financial compliance refresher training to all Educate! staff. The role involves managing cash flows and management of mobile money platform and related funds reimbursement.
The Finance Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Operations and Partnership and Program Managers to provide Rwanda monthly financials and BVAs. This role requires strong interpersonal skills since the person will be answering all the finance related questions to the staff and also orient new staff on finance policies and procedures. He/she will also collaborate closely with the global finance team and the field staff to generate new ideas in finance.
The Finance Coordinator will report to the Deputy Operations Manager and will directly supervise the Finance and Office Assistants.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise that prepares youth in Africa with the 21 century skills to succeed in today’s economy. We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with schools and governments to reform what schools teach and how they teach it. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. We’ve massively scaled up our program in the past several years, growing more than 4x since 2014. In 2019, we’re working in over 400 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 800 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model has proven to have massive impact — after the program, students earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 44% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka, and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate!’s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Accounts – 40%
- Manage cash flow i.e. projections efficiently. Share Budgets Vs Actual with all budget holders, anticipate challenges with the budgets and propose innovative solutions.
- Advise the Director of Operations and Partnerships on budgetary implications activities.
- Ensure latest version of annual budget is input in QuickBooks.
- Provide Rwanda monthly financials and BVAs
- Ensure full compliance with Rwanda Revenue Authority tax payment and returns requirements
Financial Compliance – 10%
- Train staff in all relevant financial transactions, tools and procedures
- Liaising with the Program Support Officer to Ensure that finance communication and updates are included in the monthly communication.
- Orient new staff on financial policies and procedures
- Coordinate systems for feedback from the field
- Prepare accurate and timely financial statements and management reports
- Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting
- External Audit report and Financial Statements: Coordinate external audit materials and be a check on financial statements prepared by the external auditors.
- Coordinating systems for feedback from the field
- Ensuring payments accuracy and timelines
- Implementing procedures and policies to ensure adherence to Educate! guidelines
- Ensure that all payments are recorded in the cash book
- Manage mobile money platform and related funds disbursements
- Undergraduate Degree
- 4 years’ in a busy and accounting role
- Excel and QuickBooks knowledge
- Passionate about the youth
- Strong interpersonal skills, great administrator
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Based in our growing office in Kigali
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2019, serving more than 1200. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands of more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision as the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor, or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.