WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Job Title: Head of Field Office (HUYE)/NOB
Type of Contract & Level: Fixed Term Contract (FT); NOB
Reporting to: Deputy Country Director
Duty Station: Huye Office
Duration: 1 year renewable
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Rwanda, WFP works in partnership with the Government and other stakeholders to support national priorities for achieving food and nutrition security. This is done through direct implementation of integrated programmes targeting the most vulnerable people and strengthening national capacity to design, implement and manage programmes for achieving zero hunger. Under its Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), WFP’s support revolves around four strategic outcomes (SOs) as follows:
- Strategic Outcome 1 (SO1) is designed to ensure that refugees and returnees in Rwanda have access to adequate and nutritious food at all times.
- SO2 aims to ensure that vulnerable populations in food insecure communities and areas have improved access to adequate and nutritious foods all year.
- SO3 focuses on ensuring that children under 5 years, adolescents and pregnant and lactating women in Rwanda have improved access to nutritious foods and services to meet their nutritional needs all year.
- SO4 targets smallholder farmers especially women and aims to provide opportunities for increased marketable surplus and access to an agricultural market through efficient supply chains by 2030.
This job is open in Rwanda Country Office/Huye Field Office and the job holder will report to the Deputy Country Director. The job holder will operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that programme and policy objectives are achieved in full and will be involved in a wide variety of programme and policy activities and analytical work, some of which may be of considerable complexity.
The post will have a strong focus on ensuring the effective and efficient management of human and financial resources and the delivery of WFP programmes and activities. A large emphasis is placed upon building and maintaining strategic partnerships and relationships with Government, UN agencies and other partners in the area to reinforce WFP’s visibility. The Head of Field Office is expected to provide leadership in the development and implementation of policies and programmes under the Country Strategic Plan in a complex context and in close coordination with the WFP Country Office.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
- Plan and manage WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays.
- Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans, and any deviations are reported to the Country Office.
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
- Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions.
- Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs.
- Build partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites, and centres.
- Other as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related fields, or First University degree with an additional 8 years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in the English language. Intermediate knowledge of French is an advantage.
Experience: At least 5 years of post-graduate professional work experience (management of office or team and in emergency response & preparedness food security, Resilience, Drought/Flood Management, and Climate Change)
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has developed, or supported in the development of, single discipline work plans to support the achievement of WFP strategic aims within a defined area.
- Has gained some exposure in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation.
- Has field experience via field rotations or working in a sub-office, and through field postings.
- Gained experience of analysing local political situations and assessing risk accurately.
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.).
- Has gained experience managing small to mid-size financial budgets, balancing priorities effectively.
- Has experience leading a small to mid-size team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.
- Participated in a small emergency operation/ development programme.
- Has experience with security co-ordination and compound management within a smaller area.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This position is open to Rwandan Nationals only, for one year with possibility of renewal, depending on fund availability and satisfactory performance
- WFP offers a competitive compensation package that will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP. http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations
Interested candidates should apply online at https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=178187&company=C0000168410P
deadline for submitting the online application is on the 23rd of November 2022.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.