The Honjo International Scholarship Foundation invites applications for the 2020 Scholarships for international students. This scholarship programme is open to foreign students who study or plan to study in Japanese graduate school for doctoral or master’s degree. Applications can be submitted from abroad as long as an applicant is accepted to Japanese graduate school. All nationalities and research fields are welcome. Applicants may directly apply to the foundation without pre-selection by the university.
|Application Period||Fall Scholarship: April – May
Spring Scholarship: September – October
|Screening Method||document screening, interview(s)|
|Number of Scholarships available||Fall Scholarship: a few
Spring Scholarship: 15~20 people
To be considered for the scholarship, the student must satisfy ALL of the requirement
1. The student does not possess Japanese citizenship.
2. The student must be enrolled by April 2020 or applying for the session starting from April 2020 at a graduate school in Japan. The student who are going to enter in fall 2020 should apply at the next season that application period is April 1 ~ April 30, 2020 (planned).
3. In principle, students enrolled in a professional graduate school are not applicable, however, those who can submit a research plan can apply for this scholarship program.
4. To be eligible, the student applying for PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1984. Student applying for Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1989.
5. The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in their home country after graduating from a graduate school. This does not require him or her to have employment guaranteed or to return his or her home country immediately after graduating the university, but he or she is expected to have strong will of working in his or her home country in the future.
6. The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must be able to attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
7. The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese. (no exception)
Period and amount of scholarship
The scholarship will be provided every month throughout the minimum period required to acquire the degree. The amount of scholarship depends on the differs based on the period as below:
¥200,000 per month for 1 ~ 2 years degree
¥180,000 per month for 3 years degree
¥150,000 per month for 4 ~ 5 years degree
|September 2, 2019 ~
October 31, 2019
|Start application period|
|January 31, 2020||Result of document screening announced
※The application number of applicants moving onto the interview process will be posted on our website.
|February 2020||Interview examination
※Planned in Tokyo, otherwise interviewed by video call.
|March 31, 2020||Final result announced
※The application number of accepted candidates will be posted on our website.
How to apply
- Confirm that you are eligible to apply.
- Enter “web application system”. Fill out the application form and upload the required documents.
- Once the documents are submitted, the application number will be issued, and PDF of your application form will be created. Please save the PDF file as you will need it when the result is announced on our website.
For more information,please visit https://www.hisf.or.jp/en/scholarship/foreigner/