The University of Rwanda (UR) is collaborating with other institutions in East African community, to implement a research project on “A New Technique for Locust Mass Culture for food and feeds industry in East Africa (Grant No. CGI-1-2018-040)”. The project has been funded by the East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) as well as Science and Technology Councils from involved countries (namely Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania). In this project, the University of Rwanda has been tasked with the “analysis of greenhouse gas emissions in the locust production system”. The laboratory analyses will be conducted at the International Center for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Kenya. In this context, the University of Rwanda – College of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine (UR-CAVM) needs to select a student who will be sent at ICIPE to conduct data collection for the project on the above-stated topic. In addition to data collection, the student will also be trained on insects rearing techniques. After coming back to the University of Rwanda, he will perform data analysis and write his MSc thesis based on these data.
A.Responsibilities of the selected candidate
The successful candidate will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- To conduct laboratory measurements for the data collection on the greenhouse gas emissions in the locust production systems.,
- To follow training on insects rearing techniques (data collection and training will be conducted at the ICIPE, Kenya).
- To prepare and submit the report on the training and data collection.
- To conduct data analysis, under the supervision of a Professor from UR-CAVM.
- To write a Master’s degree thesis using the collected data and prepare the manuscript scientific publication with the guidance of the supervisor.
b.Candidate key qualifications
- Being a registered Master’s Degree student of the UR-CAVM
- Having at least a BSc in Agriculture-related fields involving laboratory experiments
- Having finished the Master’s course work while waiting to conduct research and write a thesis
How to apply
Interested and eligible applicants should submit the following documents to the University of Rwanda- College of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Headquarters (Busogo campus) or send an email to the Director of Research and Innovation at UR-CAVM (firstname.lastname@example.org) with copy to the Research and Innovation Officer (email@example.com) and the project PI for the University of Rwanda (firstname.lastname@example.org) not later than July 12th, 2019 at 5pm.
- Motivation letter explaining your suitability for the position,
- Curriculum vitae with 2 referee names,
- Degree Certificate (BSc), a copy of ID and additional certificates if any.
- Proof of registration and course completion for the MSc program
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for interview
For more details,please download https://cavm.ur.ac.rw/sites/default/files/Scan_Call%20for%20applications.pdf