Short-Term Contract Vacancy Announcement:
Language and Cross Culture Facilitator (2 positions)
The Peace Corps is an independent U.S. Government agency that sends American volunteers to assist countries with their development needs.
Peace Corps opened its program in Rwanda in 1974, working for 20 years before closing its offices in 1994. It reopened its program in 2008 and Peace Corps Volunteers are currently working in Education and Health. We are seeking enthusiastic individuals who are team players and self-starters with professional integrity to fill these vacancies.
The Language and Cross Culture Facilitator (LCF) instructs Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers in Kinyarwanda language under the direction of the Language and Cross Cultural Coordinator; advises and teaches trainees and PCVs on cross-cultural items and issues; conducts classes in Kinyarwanda using the techniques, methods and training materials provided by Peace Corps Rwanda, works closely with the Language and Cross Cultural Coordinator (LCC) to periodically schedule students for tests and advises LCC on a regular basis of the progress of students and suggests further learning strategies for better community integration; Collaborates with Host Family members in order to help Trainees practice their Kinyarwanda in the family and in the host community.
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criteria detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item:
Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field with proven adult teaching experience.
Prior work experience
- One to three year experience in positions requiring the application of adult language and cross-cultural instructional skills.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in designing and adapting appropriate Kinyarwanda teaching and cross culture training materials suitable to learners in a new socio cultural environment.
- Experience in adult and experiential learning is required.
- Knowledge and experience in second language training methods and systems.
- Excellent knowledge of Kinyarwanda, grammar, idiom, syntax, and pronunciation.
- Excellent knowledge of development and/or Writing lesson plans and teaching materials to support instruction: texts, workbooks, audio and visual aids.
- Good training planning and facilitation skills using adult learning principles and techniques.
- Fluent speaking/reading/writing in Kinyarwanda.
- Fluent in written and spoken English required.
- Willing to stay at the training site in a remote village for more than 3 months.
- Ability to communicate effectively, retain trainee’s interest and motivation, and assist them in developing their language ability rapidly.
- Good interpersonal skills and awareness of cross-cultural issues affecting adult learners in a new environment.
- Demonstrate commitment to the program and ability to communicate effectively and timely as well as the ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to work calmly, tactfully, and effectively under pressure is essential, as well as the ability to maintain strict confidentiality throughout the service.
Abilities and skills
Please submit via email a letter of motivation, a full C.V and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of your professional qualifications and work experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 16th, 2019. The title of the position should be clearly marked in the subject line of the email message. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Peace Corps is an equal opportunity agency.