Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
About GE Rwanda
Our work here is Rwanda is delivered through our youth, media platform Ni Nyampinga (a beautiful girl inside and out who makes wise decisions)
Created by and for girls in 2011 Ni Nyampinga is Girl Effect’s most established brand and currently reaches 60% of Rwanda’s population with its quarterly magazine, weekly radio show, mobisite and other platforms.
Alongside Ni Nyampinga, Girl Effect has a highly popular youth brand in Ethiopia – Yegna, new collaborations in Nigeria and plans to launch new brands in Malawi, Indonesia and India in 2017. In addition, our mobile platform, Girl Effect Mobile in partnership with Facebook, is now live in over 40 countries in 24 languages.
We are a truly global business purposed to create positive and irreversible change for girls.
Find out more by visiting our website: www.girleffect.org
Context of the Role
We are hugely ambitious here at Girl Effect Rwanda to continue to develop and build world-class content for our audience. The Managing Editor will have an exciting vision for how Ni Nyampinga can make innovative and engaging behaviour change content that draws strongly from Rwandan culture and tradition. They will challenge the way we’ve looked at content previously and, with their enthusiasm for storytelling, they will drive the production team to new heights of creative ingenuity. They will either have excellent Kinyarwanda skills, or will have extensive experience working in different languages and putting teams and processes in place to enable an immersive and high quality content creation process. Most of all they will be an incredible storyteller with not only the ability to paint incredible pictures and strengthen the magic of all of our products with their talent but also the ability to develop this and grow this in others. The ideal candidate will have experience across the full range of Ni Nyampinga products – print, radio, AV and digital and ideally will have experience in factual and drama content.
What You’ll Do
This role covers the key responsibility for the creation of Ni Nyampinga editorial content and accountability for ensuring this content is on brand, high-quality and delivers against Ni Nyampinga’s behaviour change objectives. This role includes fostering creativity in the entire production team and infuses it through every aspect of our storytelling. Alongside skills in print and radio (both factual and drama) the Managing Editor will ideally have experience in digital content and commissioning and/or producing video.
- A strong creative vision for all Ni Nyampinga content and ability to guide a team to incorporate the very best of storytelling into all aspects of content.
- Accountable for content for all Ni Nyampinga platforms, including the NN Sakwe Drama, magazine, radio and digital, ensuring brand tone, spirit and values and the highest level of quality in terms of entertainment and language
- Strong ideas and experience of media product integration and future planning for a multimedia youth brand.
- Experience of commissioning and managing both Editorial and Drama teams..
- Strong creative development skills to ensure editorial creative workshops, angles, reporting guidelines story ideas, audio, visual and story components are aligned.
- Contribute to and inform the development of the Ni Nyampinga content strategy/creative briefs alongside the Strategy and Insights team
- Connect and represent Ni Nyampinga with the very best of youth media across the region and world.
- Link Ni Nyampinga with the very best content creators in the country.
- Represent Ni Nyampinga as and when necessary to external partners.
- Act as a role model to the editorial team exemplifying best practise management and mentorship within an editorial environment
- Line manage the Editors and Drama Managers to ensure the delivery of the Ni Nyampinga branded content (radio, magazine and digital).
Who You Are
- You possess a minimum of 8 years experience in media and content production with an interest in working in developing countries.
- You are a world-class writer and content creator with proven experience as an Editor and Manager.
- You have the ability to foster creativity in young teams and brilliant storytelling abilities.
- You have the knowledge of media for social change and how to balance editorial, journalistic values with the need to shift attitudes and behaviors for girls.
- You are culturally aware and respectful – curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate with the ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds.
- You are adaptable – able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments;
- You are a collaborative team player, resourceful, solution-seeker, positive, energetic, with a can-do attitude.
- You have excellent critical analysis and thinking skills, strong communication and organizational skills.
- You are a self-starter – confident and proactive in generating and leading new initiatives.
- You are committed to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Deadline to apply is Tuesday November 13- this is a FTC for 9 months
How to apply
Apply online at https://www.girleffect.org/careers/?gh_jid=4093250002