Every year, NCCR Robotics opens a call for scholarships for female master students who wish to spend a period of 3-6 months in an NCCR Robotics lab.The NCCR Robotics Master Scholarship for Women aims to allow excellent female students to come within the NCCR labs and take advantage of their infrastructure/competence to run an ambitious master project.
NCCR Robotics can offer supervision in a stimulating research environment as well as social and networking events with students and researchers from the group.
This initiative seeks to promote and stimulate the work of women researchers in the field of robotics.
The scholarship is directed to female master students about to start their master’s research work/thesis, who:
- demonstrate outstanding motivation and potential to conduct their project in one of the labs of an NCCR Robotics PI
- meet the requirements for student enrolment at the host university.
Applying students must already be enrolled in a Master course as a regular student in their home institution. The internship should be part of their curriculum.
How it works
A Scholarship of Excellence will be awarded to selected candidates to cover main costs of travel, accommodation and living expenses. Up to 5 scholarships per year can be attributed, each up to CHF 2.000 per month, for a duration of 3 to 6 months.
If selected, students can choose from one of the NCCR Robotics labs, hosted at EPFL, ETH Zürich, Universities of Zürich and Bern or Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull’Intelligenza Artificiale.
Interested candidates must get their home institution international exchange office’s green light to apply.
Combining this scholarship with others is not possible. Candidates are required to declare all the scholarships they will receive during their master, and eligibility will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Application procedure and required documents
Documents and forms to be filled for your application (incomplete and late applications will not be considered):
- Application form (available soon)
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter (maximum 1000 words)
- Official transcripts from your university stating your academic results of the last 2 years up to the most recent one
- 2 reference letters from a Professor or/and previous employer (maximum 1000 words)
- Scan of your passport / id card
The selection is made on a competitive basis by members from the NCCR Robotics Education & Society Committee.
Candidates will receive a response by email in October. Selected candidates will be asked to confirm their participation within 2 weeks.
The scholarship is granted only to selected applicants who have completed enrolment in a master course at their host university.
Selected candidates are asked to start their Master Scholarship in the host laboratory latest on 1st March.
The payment of the scholarship is subject to ongoing activity on the Master’s research project.
- Application submission deadline: 5 September
- Application revision deadline: 30 September
- Announcement of results: 15 October
- Latest start for the scholarship: 1 March
For more information about studying at EPFL and application process click here.
7. Your stay in Switzerland
- Accommodation: The EPFL Housing Office will support successful candidates in finding a flat-sharing solution or a room in Lausanne.
If in Zürich, you can contact the Housing Office of UZH and ETH Zürich.
- Language: International students enjoy speaking English on EPFL’s campus and in the laboratories whilst French is the official spoken language in this part of Switzerland. English is also widely spoken in Switzerland.
Swiss German is spoken in Zurich. At most ETH Zürich institutions, English is the language used in communication and academic life. English is also widely understood in Zürich but, in order to integrate both socially and linguistically, it is recommended that you learn German.
- Budget: For an idea of a student’s budget in Lausanne, please click here.
For an idea of a budget to live in Zürich, click here.
(Please note that these are average budgets).
For more information,please visit https://nccr-robotics.ch/students-academics/masters-internships-for-women/