Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of MSU, the Programme Associate provides leadership in execution of services in the CO Programme Unit, supports the design, planning and management of the country programme by managing data and facilitating programme implementation. The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Associate supervises and leads the support staff of the Programme Unit. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Quality Control
- q Support the MSU office in the Management of the CO programme
- Administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Support the head of MSU in Coordinate target setting exercise and review of CO performance on the Balanced Score Card;
- Review project delivery and alert management to potential problems.
- Review MoUs with partners, Government Departments;
- Review cost-sharing agreements with donors, trust fund arrangements and other funding modalities to ensure adherence to UNDP rules and regulations;
- Review programme implementation modalities;
- Provide timely reports to management on CO performance & make recommendations for improvement, including benchmarks;
- Review project filing systems, identify problems, make recommendations;
- Ensure projects are in the correct stages of activity and assisting in the proper closure of projects both operationally and financially;
- Advise management on possible changes needed in implementation guidelines (NEX Manual);
- Manage the GMS;
- Manage Cost recovery of Programme resources in accordance with the corporate policies and MoUs signed with Donors.
Provides effective support to management of the CO programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for formulation of country programme, preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Initiation of a project, entering project into Atlas (in small offices), preparation of required budget revisions.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation of reports.
- Analysis of the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Preparation and conduct of audit of NEX projects, implementation of audit recommendations.
Provides administrative support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of NEX projects Financial Reports.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
Required Skills and Experience
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political or Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
7 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc ATLAS system ) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.