SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in the power of ICT for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead the continent to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformation power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services as well as creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
The Smart aims to put ICT at the Center of National Socio-economic development agenda of member countries; improve access to ICT especially Broadband; to improve accountability, efficiency and openness through ICT promoting the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication; to put Private Sector first; and to leverage ICT to promote sustainable development.
- Purpose and context
The Technology and Innovation department of Smart Africa is responsible for the implementation of various projects organised under two (2) broad categories: The digital infrastructure program and the digital transformation program. Under these 2 programs are implemented a wide range of projects and initiatives, ranging from cross-border fibre optics, data centers, cyber security, digital ID and entrepreneurship and innovation, just to name a few.
The program support manager will be responsible for providing support to the 2 program heads mentioned above. He/She will report to the Director of Technology and Innovation and will have a close and effective collaborative working relationship with the program heads.
The programme support manager will be responsible of the following:
- Support program managers with strategic planning, workforce planning processes and develop and align program goals and performance outcomes;
- Support program managers with the development of concept papers, project/partnership proposals, project presentations, high level briefs;
- Ensures that each program/project actions and decisions to be followed or implemented by the department is assigned to a project manager to ensure responsibility, accountability and timeline for delivery;
- Track the implementation of each program/project actions and decisions, until completion using online productivity tools;
- Ensure the monitoring and reporting of the performance of agreed Smart Africa annual goals and KPIs, program plans, program budgets, contracts, agreements and MoUs, and support addressing non–performance, to achieve the required outcomes;
- Develop a sustainable reporting system that tracks daily, weekly and monthly actions, and put processes into place to ensure its utilization;
- Oversee communications and information sharing within the Technology and Innovation Department;
- Assist in planning, scheduling and maintaining the Technology and Innovation department master calendar;
- Participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of a healthy workplace which fosters trust, creativity, and general well-being; and
- Any other duties, as delegated from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Impeccable written and spoken English and French.
- High sense of responsibility, organization, prioritization and the ability to take initiative with minimal supervision.
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Cross-cultural experience and the acumen.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues with a high level of integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Desire to grow professionally.
- Gracefully handle pressure and remain a constantly reliable resource to management.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to format complex documents.
- Flexible and motivated team player.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office – especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in management, project management, business administration, with at least 4 years of experience, with at least 1 year of work experience in senior management, senior advisory or strategic support position.
- Extensive cross-cultural experience and ability to help people of different cultures understand Rwandan Culture.
- Demonstrated ability to cooperate and work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams and build a positive work environment.
- Experience in proposal writing or coordination.
- Experience in writing reports in English as well as in written and oral translation.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and work cooperatively with external stakeholders, such as Government Departments, private sector and international organizations.
- Demonstrated computer literacy, interpersonal and time management skills.
- A one-page cover letter describing your motivation for applying to Smart Africa Secretariat and why you are uniquely qualified to fill the post described in this announcement.
- A one-page CV with 3 names of referees.
- Duration of assignment
The appointment will be for 1 year, subject to a probationary period of 3 months. The position might be renewed for a second year, subject to availability of funds.
Interested bidders should send their Curriculum Vitae, cover letter and essay in either French or English. All the above should be sent to the following email address: to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Monday 18th November 2019.