Youth Development Labs (YLabs) (www.y-labs.org) designs innovative solutions that address the complex and nuanced challenges young people face today. We work with governments and local partner organizations to create, scale, and evaluate solutions designed with and for young people. Our team brings a unique mix of human-centered design, adolescent medicine, implementation science, and impact evaluation to all our projects.
Founded in 2014, our organization has worked in thirteen countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Central America on sexual and reproductive health, mental health, HIV/AIDS, and youth employment. We have offices in Berkeley, California and Kigali, Rwanda.
YLabs is seeking a Research Associate to support the monitoring and evaluation of CyberRwanda, a digital platform that aims to improve the health and livelihoods of urban adolescents (12-19 years). Co-designed with Rwandan youth, this direct-to-consumer platform weaves together choose-your-own-adventure storylines, a robust FAQ library, online ordering, and a clinic locator to deliver integrated age-appropriate adolescent health information, employment skills, and linkage to high-quality, youth-friendly services.
In 2020, CyberRwanda will be conducting a 3-arm randomized control trial to determine the impact of the CyberRwanda program on the health and livelihoods of our target audience. Additionally, CyberRwanda will be collecting other data through mixed-methods approaches, including digital data collection, and conducting a cost-effectiveness study. CyberRwanda seeks to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced Research Associate.
You will be responsible for:
Supporting Randomized Control Trial Data Collection
● With the Research Lead, support the planning, implementation, and maintenance of data collection systems such as recordkeeping systems, quality control processes and additional procedures.
● With the Research Lead, coordinate the collection and analysis of research data including the recruitment and coordination of research subjects, as appropriate.
● Assist in project work planning helping to ensure that the pre-established scope of work, study protocol, and regulatory requirements are followed.
● Support the recruitment, supervision, and coordination of a team of research assistants helping to ensure their work is of high quality.
● Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by YLabs.
Supporting CyberRwanda general Monitoring and Evaluation
● Support the development of appropriate monitoring tools for tracking of regular project progress.
● Ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day operation of research and data collection activities.
● Organize field work to monitor data collection and ensure that the data collected is of a high quality and accurately reflects the responses received. This includes working with implementing partners to screen potential study participants for inclusion/exclusion criteria and documenting participant data at each level of study level.
● Ensure compliance of project protocols regarding YLabs/CyberRwanda rules of procedure.
● Assist in any other tasks related to the delivery of the project at hand
● A self-starter – able to operate autonomously, while also having the judgment to seek guidance as appropriate and gracefully accept and apply constructive feedback.
● An organization and prioritization pro, who is proactive and flexible. Excited to help implement an innovative program for young people in Rwanda.
● Passionate about YLabs’ mission to design solutions with youth that measurably and meaningfully improve their lives.
● Enthusiastic to work as part of a dynamic and supportive multi-disciplinary team of designers, public health specialists, writers, and evaluation experts;
● A natural collaborator who understands how to build strong relationships across the organization;
● Able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment.
● Willingness to complete training on human subjects research and adhere to strict confidentiality agreements.
● 3-5 years of monitoring, evaluation, and research, preferably with NGOs or INGOs in the fields of public health or international development.
● Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Administration, Computer Science, Information Management, Economics, Public Health and/or any other relevant academic background;
● Prior experience conducting field research, including conducting surveys, interviews, focus group discussions; experience monitoring and evaluation of digital interventions, preferred.
● Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative data analysis tools like SPSS, STATA, ATLAS.ti, etc, preferred.
● Proficiency in MS office suite, G Suite and Keynote (preferred)
● Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills in a rapidly moving environment
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, in both English and Kinyarwanda
● Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to track and record projects through to completion
● Ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision
● Strong attention to detail
● Experience working effectively both with a multidisciplinary team across different time zones.
This role is open to Rwandan nationals only and is based in Kigali, Rwanda. It is a 24-month, fixed-term contract. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 17th, 2019. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.