About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 per cent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
We are seeking an exceptional Electrical engineer with at least 3 years of experience who will support the HHB Team to maximize the operations of Nasho Grain Processing Hub.
The Electrical Hub Operator will work under the direct supervision of an Agro-Processing Associate to match the efficiency and targets of the hub.
- Operate a range of machinery for grain drying including shellers, conveyors and elevators, dryers, storage silos, packing lines and weighbridge.
- Rectify both mechanical and electrical breakdowns
- Ensure that machinery and equipment are maintained through preventive, corrective and emergency maintenance on the plant equipment.
- Read and interpret system drawings including electrical diagrams
- Manage preventive, corrective and emergency maintenance on the hub equipment throughout the plant.
- Perform troubleshooting to identify efficiency in operation and resolve all issues and assist to read all meters, and inspect power distribution boards and gauges at regular intervals.
- Monitor grains quality during processing and report issues immediately to Quality Control Coordinator to solve issues quickly. This includes and is not limited to monitoring moisture content and physical inspection of grains as it passes through the processing plant.
- Ensure that all fitters and casual workers who work with the machines follow safety guidelines and always wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while in operation.
- Reporting to the management all information on fuel and electricity used.
- Assist Agro-Processing Lead to document Standard Operating Procedures for the hub.
- Help in training fitters and casual workers to perform their work to maximize production output with high efficiency.
- Provide a daily report to the operations specialist including challenges encountered and possible recommendations.
- Ensure machines’ and people’s safety by preventing unauthorized personnel from accessing machines or electrical cables.
- Support the Lead to forecast equipment needs and procure the appropriate equipment
- Ensure that the necessary parts are available and in good condition to maintain the equipment
- Lead maintenance fitters and evaluate their performances
- Develop ideas on processing techniques by working with the
- Processing Leads to identifying potential manufacturers for low-cost designs suited to farmers’ needs.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Diploma (A1) in Electrical Engineering or other related fields with a demonstrated ability of hands-on with machines.
- 2+years of working experience in machine maintenance/repairing and operation of grain dryers.
- Hands-on knowledge such as welding, drilling and rolling skills are very required.
- The advanced skill of maintaining the generator or automobiles is an added advantage.
- Basic knowledge of electrical design and installation.
- Build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Language: English is desirable
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Health insurance paid time off
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Rwanda
19 November 2022
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.