About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced mechanical engineer to operate our grain dryers in Nasho. You will operate dryers with an aim to match efficiency and targets set by the HHB Lead. You will report to the Operations Coordinator.
- Operate a range of machineries for grain drying including shellers, conveyors and elevators, dryers, storage silos, packing lines and weighbridge.
- Rectify both mechanical and electrical breakdowns
- Ensure that machineries and equipment are maintained through preventive, corrective and emergency maintenance on the plant equipment.
- Read and interpret system drawings including electrical diagrams
- Manage preventive, corrective and emergency maintenance on the hub equipment throughout the plant.
- Perform troubleshooting to identify efficiency in operation and resolve all issues and assist to read all meters, inspect power distribution boards and gauges at regular intervals.
- Monitor grains quality during processing and report issues immediately to Quality Control Coordinator to solve issues quickly. This includes and is not limited to monitoring moisture content and physical inspection of grains as it passes through the processing plant.
- Ensure that all fitters and casual workers who work with the machines follows safety guidelines and always wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while in operation.
- Reporting to the Operations specialist all information on fuel and electricity used.
- Assist Agro-Processing Lead to document Standard Operating Procedures for the hub.
- Help in training fitters and casual workers to perform their work to maximize production output with high efficiency.
- Provide a daily report to the operations specialist including challenges encountered and possible recommendations.
- Ensure machines and people’s safety by preventing unauthorized personnel from accessing machines or electrical cables.
- Support the Operations Specialist to forecast equipment needs and procure appropriate equipment
- Ensure that the necessary parts are available and in good condition to maintain the equipment
- Lead maintenance fitters and evaluate their performances
- Develop ideas on processing techniques by working with the Processing Lead to identify potential manufacturers to low-cost designs suited to farmer’s needs.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Diploma (A1) in the above-mentioned fields with demonstrated ability of hands-on with the machines.
- Previous experience of 2+years working in machine maintenance/repairing and operation of grain dryers.
- Hands-on knowledge such as welding, drilling and rolling skills are very required.
- Experience with One Acre Fund Model with demonstrated passion for our mission.
- The advanced skill of maintaining the generator or automobiles is an added advantage.
- Basic knowledge in electrical design and installation.
- Demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work, Capable to understand complex concepts quickly and learn fast
- build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Language: English is desirable
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Health insurance, paid time off
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Rwanda
30 June 2022