Call for Applications for Scholarships in PhD in Management with Course Work at UR-CBE- School of Business
The School of Business (SoB) of the College of Business and Economics (CBE), University of Rwanda (UR) in partnership with the Jonkoping International Business School (JIBS), Umea School of Business, Economics and Statistics (USBES) and Karlstad Business School (KBS) calls for applications for 6 scholarships to the candidates to be admitted in the PhD in Management with course work. The 4th phase of the UR-Sweden Programme (2019-2024) provides the scholarship. The Sweden government is the sponsor of the funds. The scholarships are tenable at the School of Business, College of Business and Economics and the University of Rwanda awards the PhD degree on successful completion of the requirements. The programme is run by the SoB- CBE in collaboration with JIBS, USBES and KBS of Sweden.
Research Themes and Sub-themes:
Applications are invited from the candidates to do research in the the focused research areas prioritized by international, national and UR interdisciplinary research policies to improve managerial efficiency in the three sectors of the Rwandan economy namely, agriculture, manufacturing and services. The research may be concerned in any subdiscipline of management across three sectors that are important to the growth and development of the country. In the agriculture, focus will be on agro-processing and value chain, industrial and rural development, role of cooperatives in agricultural transformation. In the manufacturing sector, research in innovation and indigenous manufacturing capacity, family business, entrepreneurship and small-scale businesses and quality management may be focused. In the services sector, services management (finance, banking, insurance, transport and tourism), trade and regional integration, management of change and efficiency of PPP shall be the key sub-themes for research undertaking. The research by the candidates to be able to inform policy, that would lead to sustainable growth and development of the country.
The PhD Programme:
The duration of the PhD program is three years (extendable maximum for another one year)with course work and research proposal development, field work and paper publications and thesis preparation and submission. The courses shall be taught jointly by the UR-CBE/SoB and its collaborating Swedish institutions and also from the regional universities. The students’ research shall be supervised jointly by the professors of the collaborating universities; though the UR-CBE-SoB is the main custodian and the decision-maker.
The scholarship covers the supervision fees, travel costs to Sweden, stipends while in
Sweden, fieldwork of research, minor equipment and trips to participate in international conferences. Scholarship recipients are expected to be associated with UR and serve the Departments of School of Business for a minimum of 4 years after their graduation from the program.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor and Master’s degrees in any area of Business Studies, Accounting, Management, Commerce or related fields with outstanding grades
- Should be Rwandan by nationality
- Prior research (research assistantship) and publications and teaching experiences will be valued
Interested applicants are required to submit scanned copies of the following documents to the Coordinator of Postgraduate Studies, School of Business, Dr. Isaie Kadhafi by email: email@example.com and cc to Prof. Rama B. Rao: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com and Prof. Daniel Pittino: Daniel.Pittino@ju.se before 5pm on August 31, 2019. The following documents should be appended to the application.
- A one-page motivation letter explaining why the applicant is suitable and eligible for a scholarship
- Research proposal on any of the themes and sub-themes mentioned above in not exceeding 7 pages with i) Background ii) Research Problem Statement iii) Brief and focused literature review iv) Research Questions/Hypothesis v) Research Methodology vi) Expected outcomes and their policy relevance and vii) Research Schedule and the Budget Estimate
- Certified copies of Bachelor and Master’s degrees and transcripts
- Soft copy of Master’s thesis
- Copies of any published work
- Updated CV
- Recommendation letters from at least two academic and /or professional referees
Official transcripts will have to be submitted before admission to the program. The dates of interviews with shortlisted applicants will be communicated shortly after the last date of submission of the application and the research proposal.
Applications received beyond the deadline will not be processed
For more details,please download Scholarships.pdf