Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) through the Single Project Implementation Unit (SPIU), has obtained funds from Global Environment Facility (GEF) through World Bank as Implementing Agency towards implementation of second Rwanda Urban Development Project II (RUDP II). Wetland rehabilitation has been targeted as one of the interventions that will be financed by the GEF grant. Additional financing from the Nordic Development Fund (NDF) is expected.
It is in this framework that REMA would like to recruit a competitive staff on contract basis to the position of Social Risks Management Specialist. Under the direct supervision of the SPIU Program Manager (s) and overall supervision of SPIU Coordinator, the Social Risks Management Specialist shall undertake the following tasks:
1. Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure and supervise the implementation of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Environment and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) for project financed activities. This includes activities financed by the World Bank (IDA, GEF, LDCF, PPCR) and by the NDF
- Lead development of all reports to the donors related to social management for the project;
- Assist the Project coordinator/Sector Specialist in analyzing technical feasibility of subprojects during subproject review process, with particular emphasis on environmental issues;
- Assist the NPC to respond to the technical support requests from the Community- Based Groups(CBG), private operators, and other beneficiaries of the project and take necessary actions;
- Work with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to (i) identify adequate environmental indicators for Co-Management Interventions (CMIs) and (Community Driven Development (CDD) sub-projects, and (ii) ensure timely and adequate monitoring of project activity implementation to ensure environmental and social issues are considered and reported on time.
- Organize technical workshop to review and validate project documents (including studies);
- In collaboration with the Community Development Specialist, organize trainings and study tour for projects beneficiaries;
- Conduct Social screening of the CDD sub-projects and monitor the implementation of the recommendations;
- Organize and supervise participatory environmental monitoring and auditing within project site in collaboration with Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) Specialist and other relevant project management unit team or SPIU team;
- To ensure effective integration of social safeguards considerations into all aspects of identification, consultation, planning and implementation of project activities;
- To supervise and implement the resettlement action plans, Livelihood Restoration Plans and regularly report on implementation progress;
- Support in formation and training the grievance redress committees (GRC) at the at project site level and following up beneficiaries’ complaints
- Consolidate a grievance database of all project sites under which the Project is implemented and maintain it updated,
- To Coordinate and liaise with the World Bank to ensure effective mainstreaming of social safeguard issues into the implementation of project activities;
- Document and share lesson learned and best practice with the networks
- To ensure that social safeguard related modules are incorporated in the training and capacity building programs at all the levels;
- Link with key project stakeholders to achieve the objective of the project;
- In collaboration with M&E Specialist ensure that monitoring of the Social related results indicators (as per the projects results framework) is conducted on quarterly basis;
- Perform any other activities directly related to the project objectives that will be assigned by the project Coordinators.
2. Education Background
- At least Master’s degree in International Development Studies, Sociology, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources Management, with 3 years working experience;
- At least (3) years of working experience in external funded projects as Social Risks Management Specialist or expert;
- Experience in monitoring and reporting of Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Environment and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF), Environmental and Social Impact Assessments;
3. Key Technical Skills & Knowledge required
- Familiar with different environmental and social safe guards’ standards from World Bank will be an advantage;
- Extensive knowledge of monitoring Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Environment and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF), Environmental Impact Assessments, Environmental safe guards;
- Experience in conducting public awareness in Environmental protection and management and watershed management;
- Proven competence in conducting environmental scoping reports
- Proven competence in the use of computer applications including Microsoft office;
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda, English with a very good knowledge of French;
- Very flexible to work within a team or individually;
- Able to work with different stakeholders;
- Able to work under pressure and meet challenging timescales.
- Experience in environmental protection and management;
- Experience in environmental monitoring;
- Experience in environmental awareness;
- A solid understanding of the watershed management approaches.
Interested candidates will submit their applications including CV, application letter, and academic qualification. Recommendation of last employer, applications will be sent at email@example.com. Late application shall not be considered. The deadline for the submission of the application shall be on the 10/03/2021.
For any further information, please visit REMA website.