Work Type – Full Time
Location- Africa – East T: Rwanda
Categories- Civil Infrastructure: Civil Structures
- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,000 dedicated people working across a network of 120 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognized for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 26 of the ‘2020 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
We are currently seeking for a Structural Engineer to be based in Rwanda for a Transport project.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Employee shall fulfil the role of Structural Engineer for the Consultancy Services for Supervision of Construction and Upgrading of Huye – Kibeho – Ngoma Road, Rwanda, and shall report to the Team Leader who is in overall management of the project on site and head of the site staff.
He / She shall be responsible for all technical and administrative matters relevant to the Contractor’s structural design and for the construction of bridges and structures on site. The Employee shall be responsible for the day to day management and inspection of the structural elements under the direction of the Team Leader. Specific responsibilities include timely input into relevant project deliverables, all record keeping and maintaining a diary of events. He / She shall develop all lines of communication and liaise with the team, the Team Leader within the scope of work assigned to him.
The Employee shall coordinate the other specialists’ technical tasks throughout the project,
Assist in the preparation, maintenance and updating of the project detailed plan and schedule and provide advice and assistance to the Team Leader.
The Employee shall assist the Team Leader in all of SMEC’s internal project reporting, shall maintain accurate and up to date time inputs for him and any subordinate staff, and shall assist in supplying information necessary for SMEC’s project monthly reports and invoices to the Client.
- Commit to providing excellent site performance and demonstrate commitment through cooperative team and individual efforts;
- Checking of drawings, calculations and construction methods to verify that the Contractor’s design and construction meets the specifications, contract and safety requirements;
- Interpret geotechnical information and determine suitability of the structural design in relation to the geotechnical conditions;
- Perform inspections of structures to ensure construction compliance with the specifications;
- Routine field inspections and attend to the Contractor’s request for inspections;
- Notify the Team Leader of any conflicts or discrepancies and suggest corrective action;
- Guide the Contractor of any required corrections or necessary clean-up of adverse environmental conditions;
- Inspect the Contractor’s performance related to traffic control, road closures, road safety, traffic accommodation, road maintenance, and complaints by the road users;
- Maintain detailed Daily Site Diaries (to be recorded by the end of each day and signed by the contractor); all work stoppages or delays; accidents on site; weather records; all activities in progress at any time showing the start and end time and full details of the resources employed per activity;
- Maintain detailed records of the contractor’s equipment on site and its precise date of arrival or removal from site, its date of manufacture, previous hours worked and condition, the date commissioned to commence work, its availability and utilisation;
- Maintain comprehensive records of human and material resources mobilised and used by the contractor;
- Maintain a systematic record of all inspection and test results to provide the basis for systematic and statistical analysis;
- Maintain a formal record of digital photographs taken throughout the duration of the contract at monthly intervals at set locations, including all environmentally sensitive locations;
- Maintain records of quantities of executed works, measurements on a daily basis for purposes of checking the contractor’s Interim Payment Applications;
- Make and submit periodic reports as determined by the Team Leader;
- Strictly adhere to SMEC’s Business Management System (BMS), quality standards and HSE procedures,
- Submit monthly safety observations, via the Team Leader, to the Project Director and;
- Other duties as may be required by the project and directed by the Team Leader.
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Graduate or above in civil engineering or related field and minimum of Ten (10) years’ experience in road/ bridge and building projects.
- He / She must be a member of recognized engineers’ professional organization.
- He / She must have at least eight (8) years’ experience in structural analysis, design / supervision or construction of bridges, road drainage structures including urban drainage systems and buildings.
- He / She must be familiar with the latest Computer Aided Design applications.
- Previous experience on road projects in East Africa will be essential.
- He / She shall be responsible for ensuring the bridges and other drainage structures are constructed according to design and conform to the Contract specifications and able to propose technical solutions due to the geotechnical test results.
- Good standard of written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda is advantageous.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the “Apply Now” link below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers.
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.