We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
Established in 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a Pan-African network of centers of excellence offering postgraduate training, research, and public engagement for the advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Africa. Building on the success of its first Centre in South Africa, AIMS launched the Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) in 2008 to scale up and roll out the AIMS model across the continent. Five additional centers were established in Senegal (2011), Ghana (2012), Cameroon (2013), Tanzania (2014), and Rwanda (2016). Its global secretariat is situated in Kigali, Rwanda and it has global offices in United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada.
AIMS vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society and its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers, and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
Collectively, AIMS centers provide an intensive and broad education to over 275 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Systems and Network Administrator!
In this role and reporting to the IT Manager – AIMS Global Network, you will maintain our IT systems, and assets, build solutions and implement new software and hardware. As our ideal candidate, you will be passionate about applying your skills to technology-based solutions in a diverse multi-cultural international environment and sustain a dependable and resilient IT infrastructure that is always up and running.
As an IT professional you will support all server-related activities, including setup, procurement, maintenance, monitoring, disaster recovery, and business continuity planning, tuning/performance, and security.
This is a 2-year fixed-term renewable contract based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering or related discipline and at least three (3) years of professional experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Demonstrable experience in each of the following:
- Managing Ubuntu Linux servers providing multiple services including but not limited to DHCP, DNS, CUPS, NFS, OpenVPN firewall, proxy, and web services.
- Managing Microsoft Windows servers in an active directory forest providing services including but not limited to identity and access management, DHCP, DNS, and VPNs.
- Configuring and managing network-attached storage systems, such as RAID arrays or ZFS pools, high-speed disk/SSD/NVMe systems, and storage networks.
- Configuring and managing network equipment, and familiarity with the OSI model, TCP/IP, firewalls, network security, and performance troubleshooting.
- Developing and implementing enterprise backup/recovery strategies, server configuration, and consolidation, and verification of the health and status of the entire IT infrastructure.
- Experience with systems automation tools such as Puppet SaltStack, or Ansible is a plus
- Experience with virtualization technology such as LXD, KVM, and VMWARE is a plus.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and efficiently manage time.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with a high-performing team
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and promote strong internal and external relationships
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to maintain professional (business casual) dress and grooming.
- Proficiency with MS Office, G-Suite and other internet applications (i.e. Skype, SharePoint)
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to email@example.com (i.e. quote “Systems and Network Administrator” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until October 30, 2019.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued? AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.