The Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA), in partnership with the DigiCenter and Impact Hub Kigali, is launching the #TechifyMobility2020 Challenge to support the development of innovative mobility solutions that leverage emerging technologies, such as IoT, big data, Artificial Intelligence, blockchain, 3D printing and AR/VR.
The Challenge will bring up to 12 teams and/or startups/companies to develop solutions to improve the public transport, enhance the commuters’ experience as well as to
generate new mobility options for urban dwellers.
From the 12 participating teams, up to five teams will be selected to receive financial
support and further mentorship to continue developing their solutions and compete for exclusive contracts and scaling up support.
The applications are open to teams and/or startups based in Rwanda who are interested in
leveraging emerging technologies to solve mobility challenges.
– Applicants must apply in teams of minimum 3 and maximum 4 people. Preference will
be given to teams that are gender-balanced and that combine skills and expertise in
emerging tech, software/hardware development, business and management, and the
– Applicants must choose one challenge they wish to solve and have a clear innovative
and scalable solution that they would like to develop
– Teams must be able to attend the workshops and mentorship sessions.
– Prior experience in developing solutions in the mobility sector are highly valuable.
Benefits & Awards
All participating teams will benefit from:
– Coaching and mentoring
– Workshops and field trips
– Networking with mobility stakeholders
– Access to working space (DigiCenter and Impact Hub)
– Reasonable travel stipends and Internet Bundles (up to 50 GBs) upon request
Up to 5 teams will be selected to continue to the second phase of solution development and to pitch at the Final Challenge Competition. These 5 teams will receive:
– Access to working space
– Financial support – GIZ will support each team with a maximum of 3M Rwf. The financial
support will be granted only for expenses incurred in the development of the solutions
(software development services, cloud services, hardware parts, trials, piloting, organisation, user studies, etc.). Additionally, the teams will be reimbursed for reasonable travel expenses.
– Connections with industry players
Final Challenge Competition Awards
Top teams will have the opportunity to win:
– Financial and technical support customized to the further development and implementation of their solution, through a negotiated contract with GIZ, and for a duration of 6 to 12 months. The targets for the progress, the schedule, collaboration and the payment details of the awarded sum are among the details specified in the agreement. The awarded sums will be paid in instalments.
– Support from Make-IT for scaling up the solution and be investment ready
– Workspace at the DigiCenter and Impact Hub Kigali
– Support in accessing specific software development/cloud services or purchasing specific Hardware parts/components if applicable
– Opportunity to attend the Africa Mobility Summit in Nairobi, Kenya
How to apply
To submit your application, click here: https://bit.ly/TechifyMobility2020
Applications are open until 11PM on Sunday, 12 July 2020.
For more details please download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ydOwuYW-eDyOzqdvGecMGZTFsR0HgCK9/view