Technical Advisor on PV project pre-development for commercial and industrial clients
The Project Development Programme
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
Brief information on the project
The German Energy Solutions Initiative was launched by the German Bundestag in 2002 to make a significant contribution to climate change mitigation by promoting high-quality German products in the field of renewable energies. Support has since been provided to small and medium-sized German enterprises (SMEs) in the fields of renewable energies, energy efficiency, smart grids, and storage technologies as they seek to position themselves on international markets. The Project Development Programme (PDP) for developing countries and emerging economies is a major pillar of the German Energy Solutions Initiative along with the German Chambers of Commerce Abroad’s Business Trip Programme, the German Energy Agency’s Renewable Energy Solutions Programme, and the Foreign Trade Fair Programme. PDP is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and currently in phase 4 in the following target regions: West Africa, South and East Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, and South-East Asia. The programme’s objective is pursued through several sets of measures, which include:
In recent years companies in Rwanda have seen grid supply stabilizing and diesel generator usage decreasing. However, Rwandan electricity prices are some of the highest in the region, thus negatively impacting the operational costs of many companies in the commercial and industrial sector. The current status of the market for renewable energy technologies in Rwanda shows significant development in the sector of large-scale hydro and thermal power applications as well as some utility-scale projects in PV solar, while reference projects for commercial and industrial clients and here especially within the field of captive power exist only very marginally. Reasons are mostly that potential end consumers and companies either lack awareness of renewable energy applications and their feasibility as alternatives to conventional power supply or have been hesitant to invest due to insufficient access to financing options in the country in recent years. PDP with its programme activities wants to move into the niche of PV solar applications for clients from the commercial and industrial sector and in this process is looking to hire a Technical Advisor.
Position: 1 position
Fixed term: December 2021
The Technical Advisor in Rwanda is in charge of early-stage project development services for solar PV solutions, including site audits and load measurement of the electric consumption at specific production facilities. He/ She will carry out tasks in regard to identification of project opportunities, initiation of project development, contact management of German and local project partners as well as knowledge management all within the field of renewable energy technologies. The Technical Advisor will work with private as well as with public stakeholders.
The Technical Advisor also performs the following tasks:
A. Project Development
- Compiles information on renewable energy market, the energy legal framework, and business opportunities in Rwanda;
- Proactively builds networks within the industry and identifies project opportunities and future project partners with promising ideas and development potential
- Acts as a facilitator for RE and EE project development: Supports and advises stakeholders and potential partners in the process of generating, structuring and formulating project ideas and concepts.
- Conducts engineering site audits to collect and verify structural and electrical data (number of connection points, current supply situation, description of energy mix, energy consumption and load, tariff structure, equipment in use, outages and resulting electricity costs, pattern of operation) as well as other site related information like roof quality and accessibility, availability of roof (orientation and inclination) as well as ground spaces (shading)
- In cases of insufficient load data, management of load measurements or load modeling necessary for further technical and financial simulations. Must be discussed with and approved by the GIZ PDP Country Manager, Bonn.
- Works closely with PDP Country manager in Bonn and third-party consultant in the design of solar PV systems and cash-flow modeling in the commercial and industrial sector using selected simulation tools
- Works closely with local banks, auditors, and regulatory authorities
- Presentation of results to the client (local off-taker), with the goal to convince the client to opt for the proposed system.
- Supports technical and financial tender evaluation, where needed.
Manages administrative procedures within the GIZ country office, such as contracts with third parties, travel bookings, visa procedures and others
- Plans, coordinates, and documents meetings, workshops, seminars, and other project activities;
- Organizes, prepares, and implements professional information and expert workshops;
- Manages and assists short-term experts/consultants assigned to projects/programmes in completing their tasks (e.g. consultancy for load measurements)
- Supports in implementation of business trips organized by the Delegation of German Industry and Commerce (AHK), where necessary for German renewable energy companies to Rwanda;
- Compiles an overview of programme activities, deadlines, etc. as discussed in team meetings and presents this regularly during the meetings.
C. Implementation of project activities
- Implements activities outlined in the existing PDP operation plan and to the satisfaction of PDP and the private partners;
- Assists in activities in line with the PDP collaborations with industry associations.
D. Communication, knowledge management and monitoring
- Represents PDP Rwanda in regional conferences, workshops, seminars, and relevant events in collaboration with the project coordinator;
- Identifies Rwanda-specific tenders in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency, which are relevant to German companies;
- Prepares PR contributions, identifies appropriate distribution channels in case of significant PDP events, and compiles articles for newsletters;
- Assists with PR work for the programme
- Organises and updates programme documentation in the respective data management system.
- Continuously updates the PDP Rwanda’s contact database
- Updates information on project progress, documents and reports regularly on the PDP monitoring platform
- Assists with report writing for all project activities undertaken
Required qualifications and experience:
- Academic degree in energy, engineering, economics, or related field
- Knowledge in the area of renewable energy and energy efficiency;
- Practiced knowledge on the topic of side auditing and specifically performing load measurements is an advantage.
- In-depth experience in project development (renewables or other industry) is a prerequisite
- At least 5 years of working experience in industry or engineering, preferably in project development, business development, market development, preferably in the energy sector and/or textile industry
- Existing network within the RE and/or EE industry and/or any other industry with high energy consumption, especially the textile industry, is a plus
- Excellent networking skills
- Strong organizational competence, administrative and event organization experience is a plus
- Highly motivated to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to travel abroad and to project sites across the country
- Very good knowledge of English, both spoken and written
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates, and references) until 7th December, 2020 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please, let us know if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to take into account when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.