IUCEA is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for the coordination of the development of higher education and research in the community. One of the functions of IUCEA provided for in the IUCEA Act 2009 is to advise the EAC and Partner States on all higher education matters, especially matters related to the operationalization of EAC Common Higher Education Area. The mission of IUCEA is to encourage and develop mutually beneficial collaboration between Member Universities and between them and Governments and other organizations, both public and private
Kyungdong University (KDU) is a private higher education institution located in the large town of Goseong-gun (population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants), Gangwondo. Officially accredited and recognized by the Ministry of Education, Korea. Kyungdong University Global Campus, Korea is a coeducational higher education institution. Kyungdong University-Global Campus (KDU) is championing a new approach of internationalization of higher education while providing a common academic platform of higher quality education amongst its collaborating centers established in Asia, in Europe and soon in East Africa.
IUCEA entered into an MOU with KDU and geared towards training of students from the East African Community in South Korea at KDU Global Campus and in East Africa in Academic collaboration Centers. The eventual goal of this cooperation is to promote sustainable development and ultimately contribute to EAC economic growth by increasing the availability of trained and qualified middle-level professional manpower in East Africa. This goal will be achieved through the establishment of Academic Collaboration Centers in EAC Partner States and by facilitating the training in South Korea of students from the EAC Partner States.
The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) therefore, wishes to announce a call for applications for undergraduate Scholarships to study at Kyungdong University, South Korea, commencing in September 2019 for the study of; Bachelor’s degree in Smart Computing, Hotel Management, and Business Administration. Upon the submission of required documents, applicant’s performance, and available slots per Partner States will be the criteria for selection of eligible applicants.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 30 scholarships are available each year for the next 5 years.
- Duration. The duration of this scholarship will be 4 years until completion of the under the graduate programme, subject to satisfactory performance each year of study.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate degree programme.
- Study Areas: Scholarships are awarded to study Bachelors degree in; Smart Computing, Hotel Management, and Business Administration.
- The language of instruction: English
- ScholarshipAward: The scholarship covers the following:
Kyungdong University will provide scholarships for each selected student comprising of;
- Tuition fees of USD 10,000 per year up to 4 years;
- Accommodation fee of USD 1,600 per year;
IUCEA will provide:
- Return Air ticket at the beginning and end of every two years;
- Provide Health Insurance of USD 200 per year;
Parent/Guardian of selected students will meet other living expenses estimated at USD 200 per month.
Eligibility for the scholarship:
Scholarships are awarded to applicants (citizens and residents) of East African Community Partner States (5 students per Partner State including; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) meeting the entrance requirements below;
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of and resident in any of East African Community Partner State (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda);
- Have completed the pre-university level with excellent results;
- Have completed pre-university level during the academic years of 2017 or 2018;
- Subject areas and combinations to include; Mathematics and English;
- Have minimum grades of B in mathematics and English;
- English Language Requirements: Be proficient in English. Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of proficiency in English. The admission requirements for non-native speakers are IELTS 5.5 or IBT 71.
- Applicants should not be more than 22 years of age.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit either electronically or hard copies of the following documents to the IUCEA Office in Kampala, Uganda:
- Letter of application to the Executive Secretary of IUCEA
- Completed application form;
- Recent passport-size photograph;
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae including names and contacts of two referees letters. One of the referees should be the Head of the Institution where from the student completed his/her secondary school;
- Certified copies of school certificates and transcripts;
- Certified copy of bio-data page of Passport or copy of National Identity Card.
The indicative timetable for the present Call is as follow:
|No||Stages||Date and time or indicative period|
|1||Publication of the Call||February 7th , 2019|
|2||Deadline for submitting applications||March 25th , 2019|
|3||End of the evaluation process||April 15th, 2019|
|4||Information to selected applicants||May 31st , 2019|
|5||Briefing and signing of scholarship agreement at IUCEA HQs||June 30th , 2019|
|6||Departure for Kyungdong University Global Campus||August 23rd , 2019|
|7||Starting date of the study programme||September 2nd , 2019|
Candidates who have been awarded certificates by accredited Institutions of learning which issue academic documents in languages other than English shall submit English translations of all supporting documentation including, but not limited to, Transcripts, and diplomas.
Academic levels or equivalence of the qualifications obtained from foreign institutions must be equated by the National Council or Commission for Higher Education in respective Partner State.
Applicants should adhere to the following procedures:
1.Download the relevant application form from the IUCEA website: www.iucea.org under the link “Application Form-IUCEA-KDU Scholarships”
2.Submit the required documents indicated above
3. The applications should be submitted in hard copy or electronic formats to the address hereafter:
Completed application form and all the above-required documents MUST be submitted by 25th March 2019 either electronically as PDF documents (in one folder) or hard copies to IUCEA (see address hereafter).
IUCEA and KDU believe in equal opportunities, and female students are particularly encouraged to apply.
Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
Kigobe Road, Plot M833, Kyambogo Area
P.O. Box 7110, Kampala
Republic of Uganda
For inquiries or any additional information, please contact Dr. Benedict Mtasiwa, Head of Exchange Linkages and Partnerships (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Mr. Patrick Murenzi, Senior Exchange and Programmes Officer (email@example.com) at IUCEA.
For more information,please visit https://www.iucea.org/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=17:scholarships&Itemid=613