Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Sauder School of Business
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Please note that the Mastercard Foundation Scholars program only covers expenses of the admitted scholars.
Please note that Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for this award.
Please note that funds from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC cannot be applied to pursue programs at other academic institutions.
Step 1: Admissibility Submission: November 6, 2019
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application December 13, 2019
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Arts: January 2, 2020
- *Masters in Science Education (SCED) – December 1, 2019*
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – January 2, 2020
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – January 2, 2020
- *Forestry: January 13, 2020*
- Land and Food Systems: January 2, 2020
- Medicine: January 2, 2020
- Science: January 2, 2020
- Sauder School of Business: January 2, 2020
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents (including your reference letters) by the dates requested above.
*Applicants applying to these programs should consider the different deadlines. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Step One: Admissibility Submission
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the list.
- Consult the link/chart below identifying the Minimum Academic Requirements/International Credentials for Graduate Students, listed by country to determine your academic eligibility for the program and MCF.*Given that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, a record that satisfies basic entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to graduate studies* https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/minimum-academic-requirements-international-credentials
- Consult the program website to determine if you possess the appropriate background experience.
- If you meet the minimum academic requirements and have the appropriate background, complete the eligibility verification form (at the bottom of this page) to verify your eligibility for the scholarship. We will accept and verify Admissibility Submissions until November 6th,2019.
For applicants interested in the Full-time MBA program, please contact the Sauder MBA Admission office at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine your eligibility.
Step Two: Additional Tests
If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English, make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and have the results sent to UBC. Please visit this website to confirm whether you meet UBC’s English requirement: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/english-proficiency-requirements.
Step Three: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Package
You must complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications before you apply to UBC. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications are due on December 13, 2019. We ask that all applications be submitted electronically, via email as this is faster and costs less. Late or incomplete packages cannot be accepted and UBC is not responsible for any packages not received by the deadline.
In order for the Selection Committee to determine your eligibility for this scholarship, you must demonstrate financial need, a commitment to give back and how your education will contribute towards the transformation of your community, your region or your country in Africa. You must:
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Form. If submitting a hand-written Eligibility Form, ensure that the document is clearly legible.
- Submit the Personal Statements. An answer to each question not exceeding the word limit must be typed and submitted:
- Please tell us your story. What is of importance to you and reflects who you are? (200-300 words max.)
- Describe a recent, meaningful involvement in your community, including what your role is/has been in the activity/ies. (200-300 words max.)
- Why are you interested in studying at UBC, and how do you envision your chosen program of study at UBC helping you to reach your long-term career and personal goals? What drives you to achieve your goals? (200 – 300 words max.)
- Persistence is crucial to the completion of this Please describe a situation where you had to overcome a significant obstacle/ challenge(s) to reach a goal. How did you react to this challenge, and what did you learn from the situation? (200 – 300 words max.)
- What else should we know about your financial condition in order to consider you for this scholarship? (200-300 words max.)
- Submit a CV/resume. This should include any relevant education and work experience
- Provide two reference letters. Please provide two reference letters on official letterhead that will attest and speak extensively to your community service, volunteering abilities, and leadership potential. If your referees would like to send their letters directly to us for privacy reasons, please note that these should be sent to us via email by December 13, 2019. Any letters sent after this date will deem your package as “incomplete”, and hence, will not be considered for the scholarship.The same references letters can be provided for your academic application given that they meet the requirements. However, a strong preference will be given to references that can attest to your leadership skills, commitment to community services and why you are suited for this award. Please note that each faculty will have specific requirements for reference letters separate to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program – make sure to follow these requirements.
- Transcripts. Please attach a legible copy of your (unofficial) transcripts. If your transcripts are in a language other than English, note that you will be required to also provide a translation.
- Submit the Checklist, Eligibility Form, Personal Statements, CV, two reference letters on official letterhead, transcripts, and signed declaration. Upon completion of your Eligibility Package, please submit a copy of your package as one pdf. document via email to email@example.com. Note that the declaration must be signed by hand, electronically, or typed, otherwise, the package will be considered incomplete.
Step Four: UBC Faculty Applications
- Apply Online: Once your Mastercard Foundation Application is complete, you will receive an email with instructions to submit an online application to:
- Review the instructions for faculty applications at: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/application-process.
- For MBA, apply here: https://appform.topapply.com/applicationformmodule/index/sauder.
- Application Fees: You may be eligible for a fee waiver if your country is listed as one of the world’s 50 least developed countries, according to the United Nations. Please visit this website to check if you are eligible: https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/least-developed-country-category/ldcs-at-a-glance.html .
- If your country is not listed above, please email us to see if you are eligible for a fee waiver after you have submitted your application package. If you are requesting a fee waiver, we strongly recommend you submit your application early to as the process can take some time and only those with completed packages will be considered.
Step Five: Reviewing Process
- In February 2020, Faculties will nominate admitted candidates for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship. A university-wide selection committee will review scholarship applications from all six Faculties, rank them and select award recipients. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted at this time and invited to submit a video interview.
- In April 2020, only the MCF Scholar award recipients will be contacted and soon thereafter an announcement of award recipients will be made. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to respond to applicants who have not received the scholarship.
APPLY TO MCFSP
UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholarship applications for the 2020-2021 year are OFFICIALLY OPEN as of October 3, 2019.
Please complete the eligibility form below for each faculty in which you are interested in*:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land & Food Systems
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Sauder School of Business–please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly with your CV/resume & your transcripts and provide the following information;
- First Name:
- Preferred First Name:
- Last Name:
- Intended Program: Full-time MBA
- Country of Nationality:
*If you have interest in more than one faculty, note that you will need to submit separate eligibility forms.
For further questions about the UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, please email: email@example.com .
APPLY TO UBC
Please note that Faculty applications for Mastercard Foundation Scholarship applicants may be different than what is posted on Faculty websites. Be sure to review deadlines as noted in the DEADLINES section above.
For more details,please visit http://mcfscholars.ubc.ca/apply/graduate/