The Faculty of Science of the University of Geneva is an internationally recognized leading research institution. This cutting-edge research covers a broad range of scientific disciplines: astronomy, biology, chemistry and biochemistry, computer science, mathematics, physics, pharmaceutical sciences, earth sciences and the environment. The Faculty hosts three National Centres of Competence in Research of the highly competitive Swiss National Sciences Foundation (Chemical Biology; SwissMAP; Planets) as well as many European research projects. The Masters of the Faculty of Science constitute an ideal training base for an academic but also a professional development, opening on careers in industry, teaching, administration in sciences, communication and media… The programs Master’s degrees are either entirely in English, or in English and French (see the descriptions of each program).
The Faculty of Science, with the support of external partners, has established an Excellence Fellowship program open to outstanding and highly motivated students who wish to pursue a Master of Science degree in one of the disciplines covered by the Faculty1. Candidate selection is based on excellence.
The Excellence Fellowship consists of a grant amounting to CHF 10’000 to CHF 15’000/year (no teaching duties); it is awarded for one year and extended for the regular duration of the chosen Master’s program (three or four semesters) provided the applicant is academically successful at the end of his/her first semester of studies.
Regardless of your home university, whether you have passed or are doing a brilliant bachelor degree, and that you are one of the best in your year2, this program is for you! You must meet the admission criteria of the Master of your choice3 and be selected on the basis of the application file for an Excellence Fellowship.
For the application to be considered, each student has to fulfill the enrollment procedure as described on the Admissions office website.
- A scan of your UNIGE card or if you are not yet a UNIGE student, the mail of the central administration named “Your application to UNIGE” (proof you have started the matriculation process) is requested.
The application (in English or French) must include the following documents in the form of a SINGLE pdf file:
- A scan of your national identity card or passport.
- A Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum).
- The transcript of exams passed during the bachelor education, with all grades.
- A motivation letter in which you describe your specific scientific interests and your motivation to pursue a Master of Science program at the University of Geneva.
- If possible: Letters of references from two professors (preferably sent by them directly to ) attesting your aptitude to this program.
- Any other pertinent information like results of GRE (General requirement examination), of TOEFL or other language test.
The application is made online, from the beginning of January of each year. After registering, you will receive an e-mail containing a personal link allowing you to fill out the application form.
Next application deadline is 15 March 2023 (for Masters starting September 18, 2023).
IF ALL THE ABOVE MENTIONED CLAUSES ARE NOT COMPLETED, THE APPLICATION FILE WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Additional information is available at http://www.unige.ch/sciences/masters/.