Background and purpose
The African School of Electronic Structure Methods and Application (ASESMA) is a bi-annual two week school that brings together students from countries in Africa. In order to further develop and support the networking that takes place at that event, EAIFR has received 24,000 EUR from the Office of External Activities (OEA) of the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) Trieste Italy, Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire (CECAM), the National Centre for Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials MARVEL funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, and the Psi-k network.
The funds are to promote intense scientific exchanges between researchers within Africa who are working in electronic structure methods and applications and to support Africa – Europe interactions between researchers in Europe and those in Africa. This network (ASESMANET) will fund African researchers to visit other researchers or research groups in Africa for focused research collaboration for two months or more at a time and also support exchange of scientists between Africa and Europe for research collaborations and conference participation. Thus, ASESMANET aims to extend ASESMA in some way by promoting collaboration and training to cover the whole year. Researchers (graduate students, postdocs, faculty members) in any African or European institution are eligible to apply for funds under this network. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
The ASESMA Network will fund participants to cover:
* Travel/flight tickets [from African home country to African host/collaborating country or between African and European countries for research collaboration and/or conference support].
* Accommodation at host country
* Living allowance at host country
Participation and application information
Selection is competitive.
1. An application letter stating clearly:
a) the intended period (dates) for the visit;
b) visit/research/conference plans;
c) country where the collaboration will take place;
d) country where the applicant will be travelling from.
2. Research proposal or Conference/Workshop title. In the case of request for conference support, applicants should also give the title of their planned conference talk/poster.
3. Reference letter from a scientist who is familiar with the applicant’s work
4. Letter from host scientist or conference organizers expressing a willingness to receive the visiting researcher.
5. The CV of the applicant.
Deadline for application: July 12, 2019
For more information,please visit https://ur.ac.rw/IMG/pdf/asesmanet_announcement_v3b.pdf