Location: Kigali, Rwanda | Deadline for Applications: October 25, 2019
Bridges to Prosperity (B2P) is an international non-governmental organization that specializes in the design and construction of pedestrian footbridges. We are seeking a motivated, dynamic and highly capable VP of Operations responsible for activities related to ensuring both programmatic excellence and preparedness.
The VP is responsible for growing and overseeing the Programs Team, including direct management of all Country Managers and Directors, as well as all global operations teams including Engineering, Procurement, Safety and Talent + Training. The VP of Operations will be responsible for ensuring standards of quality are maintained throughout the organization and is the supervisor of key programmatic and pre-construction staff who will directly ensure policies are implemented. This position includes extensive management and oversight while crafting the operational strategic vision and plans for scaling the operation.
Core to the position will be identifying strategies which will help the organization grow while implementing processes for reducing operating costs while ensuring the highest safety rating in the industry. The VP is a strong leader but also highly collaborative across organization-wide operational goals. Overall the VP is accountable for the organization meeting its operational deliverables, meeting operational budgets, driving operational efficiency and ensuring quality and safety values are uncompromised.
- Sit on the Leadership team, owning, setting and representing the operational objectives and team while developing longer-term strategies
- Manage an operations team of approximately 60 employees across three countries, growing to over 100 in the next year
- Manage and lead operational departments including Engineering, Procurement, Safety, and Talent +Training
- Supervise day to day managers of programmatic operations (currently in Rwanda, Uganda and Bolivia) and prioritize high risk and important activities
- Facilitate and coordinate the execution of relevant operational structures and communication systems to allow the global operations team to collectively meet and exceed organizational and department level objectives and key results
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures to ensure quality and impact are optimized while achieving aggressive growth targets
- Develop and execute scaling operational work plans and tracking to ensure milestones are achieved
- Ensure operational budgets are set and met
- Collaborate with VP of Evaluation to support a large-scale research program
- Collaborate with VP of Systems to ensure all operational systems priorities are reflected in the priorities of their department
- Collaborate with the VP of Development, and in the absence the Directors of Development (Business Development, Major Gifts and Industry) to ensure they are equipped with operational inputs and staff support needed to meet and exceed revenue targets
- Minimum twelve-years of experience in project management and/or overseas development ideally with a heavy construction component
- Experience in grant management for large grants and/or contracts with multiple donors, with preference for experience with USAID and other international donors such as EU, IFAD, UN orgs, World Bank, foreign governments preferred
- International, cross-cultural work experience required with a sensitivity to a multi-cultural global environment, ideally working in low-and-middle income countries
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills in driving enterprise level initiatives and engagement with local and global senior stakeholders.
- Experience assessing and building operational processes to drive operational efficiency and to ensure quality and safety values are uncompromised
- Proven success in collaborating and influencing multiple functions and groups to achieve desired goals.
- Understanding of key best practices relating to delivery of construction services with public sector owners
- Strong business acumen and analytic skills with an understanding of international and domestic financials.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and a collaborative work style while maintaining a commitment to accomplishing goals.
- Strong time management, planning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage large-scale projects that involve a broad and varied group of stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial and highly resourceful to move key initiatives forward and problem solve
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
- Experience balancing day-to-day needs of programs with long-term strategic goals
- Effective, versatile and action-oriented
- Excellent communication skills
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Professional engineer or chartered credential preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required. Post-graduate degree preferred
The position is based in Kigali, Rwanda and requires frequent travel to rural locations as well as travel to other program countries.
Sound like you? Tell us a bit more about yourself below by 10/25/19 by submitting a personalized cover letter and resume in a single combined PDF.
We have seen firsthand the benefits of a diverse team, and the strength that comes with diversity in experience, background, and perspective. We strongly encourage applications from individuals that would bring a unique or underrepresented perspective to our organization.