With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Forest Landscape Restoration for Improved Livelihoods (FLR), Evergreen Agriculture, (EGA), Transforming Eastern Province through Adaptation (TREPA) Projects Manager
World Vision Rwanda is a child focused Christian humanitarian organization implementing development programs in 29 Districts of Rwanda.
World Vision Rwanda has been implementing the Forest landscape restoration for Improved Livelihoods (FLR) and Reserving Land Degradation in Africa by Scaling up evergreen agriculture/Regreening Africa (EGA) projects since 2017, across four districts of the Eastern Province (Bugesera, Kayonza, Gatsibo and Nyagatare) of Rwanda. The FLR project is funded by the Australian Government through its Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, with a goal of improving food security and livelihoods for 11,400 female and male smallholder farmers and their families (57,800 total beneficiaries). The Regreening Africa project is funded by the European Commission through the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry, with financial contribution from World Vision. The project goal in Rwanda is to improve livelihoods of smallholder farmers through improved food security and resilience to climate change resulting from the restoration of essential ecosystem services such as soil fertility, erosion control and water cycle buffering. Regreening Africa project will end in February 2023, while the FLR project will end in June 2023.
In addition, World Vision Rwanda, entered into an agreement with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) regarding the implementation of Output 2.1 of the Project Transforming Eastern Province through Adaptation (TREPA) for a period of six years.
World Vision Rwanda seeks to hire a highly qualified, dedicated and experienced national for the position of FLR, EGA, and TREPA Projects Manager. The position will be based in Head office – Kigali reporting to the Grants Manager.
Purpose of the position:
The purpose of the position is to provide overall Leadership and Management to the projects, effectively transition the ending projects and ensure management of the currently starting TREPA project. This will require ensuring project planning aimed at achieving all project goals, deliverables, tasks, costs and deadlines. The position holder shall ensure collaboration with various partners including Small Holder Farmers, Community Based Organizations, Local NGOs, Local Government, Central Government and International Organizations. Additionally, the Project Manager shall be expected to communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
The major responsibilities include:
% of time
Projects planning, coordination/management and implementation
- Provide overall leadership of the FLR&EGA, and TREPA projects’ through timely and quality planning, coordination/management and implementation.
- Provide overall program management, develop coherent technical vision and initiate innovative strategies to achieve the outputs of the project/s
- Build and manage relationship with the government of Rwanda, local and international organizations, local farmer organizations, private sector stakeholders on Forestry Landscape Restoration and related issues.
- Integrate project activities and plans with government institutional plans (eg RFA, Districts)
- Conduct field visits to maintain clear understanding of projects activities within districts of operation.
- Proper management of projects assets
- Provide technical support to the implementation of all agricultural, environmental and food security response initiatives.
Timely & Quality projects plan and budget documents
Full alignment between project activities and government institutional plans regarding land restoration interventions.
All project assets are properly utilized and maintained.
Adherence to contractual/agreement terms and conditions.
Beneficiaries benefit from projects interventions
Team Management and Capacity building
Build staff, community and organizational capacity in quality Forestry Landscape Restoration programming and re-sourcing with potential donors.Provide leadership and management to the projects ensuring team planning, efficient and effective budget management and deployment of time and talent to achieve team objectives.
Create performance agreements with each direct reports, and conduct quarterly reviews and end of year performance appraisals;
Lead recruitment of qualified project management staff
Ensure the P&C department is aware about the projects staffing/recruitment plan
A strong project management and oversight team
Team with requisite skills, engaged and working well together for smooth implementation of projects activities.
Effective partnering for performance implemented
Monitoring and Evaluation, Learning and reporting
- In collaboration with WVR Design, Monitoring and Evaluation team, ensure proper assessments, baselines, monitoring and evaluation of all projects under responsibility are done and that all the M & E findings/ recommendations are incorporated in the subsequent project designs and communicated as required
- Monitor the impact (negative/positive) of the projects on the wellbeing of children.
- Ensure that projects components, products and activities do not contribute to any form of child abuse or infringement of child rights
- Promote and sensitize communities, clients, partners and other stakeholders about children’s rights and responsibilities.
- Ensure that safeguarding policy and guidelines are strictly adhered to among all staff, communities and clients you interact with.
- Prepare periodic written reports according to the deadline agreed with the donor and partners and submit to World Vision and other partners mentioned in the project proposal;
Monitoring and evaluation tools in place
All project activities effectively implemented as planned
Proper documentation of the success stories and best practices is done regularly
Project reports are produced timely with quality. Mandatory government reports (eg RGB) are produced timely and accurately
Lessons learnt are provided to inform improvement in the TP.
All technical issues detected, raised and addressed
Stakeholder engagements and resource mobilization
- Ensure good collaboration with projects’ stakeholders and partners, including local and international partners. Local partners include but not limited to local government, government institutions, and Farmer Groups/Cooperatives, while international partners will include but not limited to SO and the projects’ donors.
- Through collaboration with GAM team, support WVR in resource acquisition in relation to food security, economic development, environment and Climate change Issues.
- Develop a Forestry Landscape Restoration scale up Strategy for World Vision Rwanda (WVR) including communications and networking.
- Full participation from Districts, Sectors, Cells and Village leadership into projects’ activities implementation.
- Ensure integration of projects plans with district plans and targets.
- Effective communication with partners/stakeholders.
- Strong network with government institutions, and other key partners.
- Representing WVR by responding to partner invitations where required and recommended by management.
- Effectively responding to requests from the SO and projects’ donors including timely reporting.
- Maintain effective relationships with donors and Partners.
- Proposal development activities supported
Knowledge /Qualifications for the role
Required Professional Experience
- At least 7 years Professional experience in forestry, agroforestry or agriculture
- Strong knowledge and experience in managing FLR and other climate actions such as agroforestry, FMNR, climate smart agriculture and similar Livelihoods initiatives.
- Must possess strong research skills
- Must have experience in designing monitoring and evaluations systems for large organizations
- Must have experience in project design and implementation, and operation management; project monitoring and evaluation and report writing are essential.
- Must be a skillful people manager, with ability to lead, inspire, and mentor subordinates, and to achieve the highest possible results through staff.
- Must have clear visions of the key accountabilities, and be determined to achieve all set targets in line with short, medium and long term targets and objectives as specified in WVR’s budgets, plans and strategic documents.
- Must have developed networking skills mainly with major donors, the government and other NGOs
- Must be computer literate in especially MS Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Master’s degree in Forestry, Agroforestry, Agriculture, Natural Resource Management or a related discipline.
- Proven experience in managing grant projects, preferably in the environment and agricultural sectors, consistently meeting or exceeding donor expectations,
- Conversant with most of economic development approaches such as saving groups, value chain development, cooperative development,
- Have at least five years of relevant work experience in a similar or related position;
- Experience in partnership management,
- Computer literate especially in data analysis programs,
- Proven track record of grant proposal writing will be an advantage.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kinyarwanda. Experience in community development work or any other related field.
- Experience in staff management
- Experience in working with most vulnerable communities
- Strong facilitation skills to prepare and conduct training sessions
- Should be computer literate in word ,excel and PowerPoint
- Must have a valid driving license category B and ability to drive.
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
N.B: Women are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Should you wish to apply for this position, please go to https://worldvision.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/WorldVisionInternational
If this is your first time applying online via the World Vision International careers website, you will need to register an account along with your application details. This site will provide you with additional functionality, such as saved searches and email alerts. Registration requires minimal information to create your account. Further details will be collected during the application process.
All applicants must apply using our online application system, CVs received via email or standard post will NOT be considered.
In case you face any challenges in applying, please let us know on email@example.com (no applications will be accepted through this email).
The closing date for submission of applications is 22 January 2023; no late applications will be accepted.