For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter to be collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
All applicants shall be
a) Non-Chinese citizens
b) In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
c) Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language.
d) Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2019. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
A.Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
Commences September 2019 and provides scholarship for maximum two academic years. Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who are able to provide notarized document of the employment agreement are preferred.
B.Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study (Chinese Language and Literature)
Commences September 2019, and provides scholarship for maximum 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK test (intermediate level).
C.Scholarship for One-Semester Study (Chinese Language and Literature)
Commences either in September 2019 or March 2020, and provides scholarship of maximum 5 months. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE and CRITERIA
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
For details, please refer to the website of CIS: （http://cis.chinese.cn）
1. For application, please log on to the ZJU online application system and Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Contact Recommending Institutions:
I. Confucius Institutes and Confucius classrooms which have been in operation for more than six months. For more information, please refer to www.hanban.org.
II. Testing centers for Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) which have the right to recommend Confucius Institute Scholarship candidates. For information, please refer to www.chinesetest.cn.
III. Oversea organizers of Chinese Bridge Competition: education and cultural offices (groups) of China’s oversea embassies (consulates), Confucius Institute and relevant educational institutions. For further information, please consult email@example.com.
3. Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants , and Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection.
4. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post the Admission documents. The copy of the scholarship certificate can be printed out from the CIS website.The student should register at host institutions at the designated date and time as per the letter of admission.
Note: Applicants of Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) MUST submit or post all the following application materials to the Confucius Institute Office at Zhejiang University before the deadline. The application package should be labeled “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application ”.
1. Application Form for Admission to Zhejiang University pasted with a recent photograph (white background,35mm×45mmin size).
Applicants shall fill in and submit the application form via the ZJU online application system first , then print and sign the Application Form produced by the online application system.
2. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form.
3. A photocopy of passport.
4. Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
5. Academic transcripts during Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
6. Photocopies of Chinese proficiency certificates.
7. Personal statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
8. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.)
9. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If any)
10. Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor, (download). (If any)
11. Notarized employment agreement with teaching institutions.(If any)
12. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall provide the proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employing institution.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINES ARE
a) May 20th (for those commencing in September)
b) November 20th (for those commencing in March 2020)
Hanban will complete the scholarship review and notify the results three months before enrollment of the admitted students.
CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2019 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” shall log onto the scholarship website and ZJU application system and submit documents upon presentation of their CIS certificates. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiry.
a) Degree students shall accept the annual assessment under the Annual Appraisal Procedures of Confucius Institute Scholarship
b) Those who failed to register on time, failed to pass the health assessment, dropped out midway and/or suspended will be deprived of scholarship.
c) Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
Confucius Institute Office at Zhejiang University
Room 3504, International College Building, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou，China
Post Code: 310027
Tel: +86 571 87953089
Email: email@example.com(MTCSOL program) firstname.lastname@example.org(One Semester and One Academic Year program)
Division of Test and Scholarships at Hanban
For more information,please visit http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/redir.php?catalog_id=22234