Are you passionate about your community? Do you have what it takes to be a leader? Then apply for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa 2018 Cohorts 28, 29 & 30.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the U.S. Government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. With more than 60% of its population below the age of 35, Africa is quickly becoming home to the world’s largest number of young people, which raises several questions about the future of Africa.
The YALI RLC East Africa is more than a location for learning or a venue for collaboration; it represents a philosophy, a forward-leaning culture of diversity that invites dreaming and thinking differently to define and realize one’s potential.
The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is looking for young men and women between the ages of 18 and 35 from Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya,Rwanda, Tanzania, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
Selected participants will engage in leadership training across three tracks of study:
(1) Business and Entrepreneurship,
(2) Civic Leadership, and
(3) Public Management in a 4-week residential format with a focus on individual and team leadership skills, innovation, creative learning, and communication.
The program’s emphasis is on interactive and experiential learning which fosters each participant’s ability to contribute both individually and in teams.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African
Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea,
Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Kenya (if required);
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Nairobi, Kenya; Transportation to/from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa for all non-Kenyan participants;
- For Kenyans, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be provided for from your location of residence;
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan;
- Housing and meals; and
- Stipend to cover miscellaneous costs when in Nairobi.
The Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Kenya if you are residing within one of the 14 countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa.
For more information,please visit https://www.yalieastafrica.org/