The Africa AI Accelerator Program has been designed by Ghana Tech Lab (GTL) to promote local innovations in the field of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data usage.
The first cohort will support 10 AI startups from Ghana, South Africa, Rwanda, and Uganda. The program partners are GIZ’s tech entrepreneurship and AI initiatives “Make-IT in Africa” and “FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence for All” and IBM.
The Program has been structured to provide startups with product development and business development support through a blended accelerator program with a virtual and physical interface. Customized to boost collaboration between startups and corporates, commercial partners, and investors, participating startups will receive support to meet clear growth aspirations through measurable targets setting.
To be eligible to apply, startups must meet the following requirements:
- Be a for-profit startup, operating in Ghana, South Africa, Rwanda, or Uganda, with a team of at least two people.
- Operational for at least one year
- Already have any of the following:
- An Artificial Intelligence (AI) or Machine Learning (ML) product or service.
- Have the prerequisites to include AI or ML into existing products or services including a detailed concept.
- Products or services which are needed to develop AI or ML products or services including training data collection.
- Have traction with early revenue and early customers, with a clearly demonstrated potential to scale.
- Have a business model with a social impact, i.e. with a solution to a problem as described in the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Have an up to date Venture Profile on VC4A with appropriate information for business and financing partners.
NB: Must be willing to commit and be readily available for all virtual sessions for the 6 month period of the Accelerator Program as well as an on-site bootcamp and on-site demo days in Ghana (contingent on easing of travel restrictions by participating countries)
If your startup meets all these eligible requirements, please proceed to apply for the program.
The Africa AI Accelerator program offers:
- 6 months of tailored and interactive virtual and physical sessions
- A fully-funded bootcamp training experience
- Connections to global networks and mentors
- Coaching and mentorship from AI experts from IBM
- Access to IBM’s Digital Nation Africa (DNA) platform and other digital tools
- Investment opportunities
- Strengthening technical capacity
- Strengthening business capacity
- Support to refine your AI solution
- Matching to cooperates as potential clients or partners
GTL especially look for startups that
- Have female founders: Ghana Tech Lab, GIZ, and IBM are committed to encourage and support female founders in the field of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Work on AI and health: Artificial intelligence provides many opportunities to support and improve health services and the current COVID-19 pandemic reinforced efforts to use this potential to support strained health systems.
- Work on Natural Language Processing (NLP) and data collection for NLP applications: African languages are currently under-resourced in the area of NLP while NLP applications offer many opportunities for inclusion, access to digital services and sustainable development.
- Have an open-source and open data-oriented business models: Open source and open data provides the opportunity for ecosystems to evolve and collective efforts to solve problems.
For More Information and application,please visit GTL Africa AI Accelerator Program 2020