Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) through the Single Project Implementation Unit (SPIU), has obtained funds from the World Bank (IDA), the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR) towards implementation of the second Rwanda Urban Development Project II (RUDP II). Wetland rehabilitation has been targeted as one of the interventions that will be financed by RUDP II. Additional financing for wetland restoration from the Nordic Development Fund (NDF) is expected.
It is in this framework that REMA would like to recruit a competitive staff on contract basis to the position of Ecology Specialist. Under the direct supervision of the SPIU Program Manager (s) and overall supervision of SPIU Coordinator, the Ecology Specialist shall undertake the following tasks:
1.Duties and Responsibilities
The main emphasis of this position is to support and inform wetland rehabilitation planning and to undertake ongoing monitoring so as to track ecological outcomes achieved through wetland rehabilitation activities in the City of Kigali. This is expected to include the collection of baseline data prior to project implementation, during and at the end of project implementation. Information collected will then be used to inform management responses to ensure that rehabilitation objectives are achieved as far as possible. This assignment will require a high level of competence and is expected to include the following duties and responsibilities:
- Consolidate and review available information on wetlands in the City of Kigali to build an understanding of the state of knowledge of wetlands.
- Work with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to (i) identify adequate biodiversity indicators for Co-Management Interventions (CMIs);
- Conduct field surveys to collect biological information about the numbers and distribution of organisms (plants, fish, invertebrates, birds etc.) in wetlands;
- Conduct field, lab, and theoretical research, including collecting water and soil samples for analysis;
- Following construction, undertake regular monitoring of rehabilitation interventions to identify early problems and maintenance requirements (e.g. erosion, siltation etc).
- In collaboration with M&E Specialist ensure that monitoring of the biodiversity related results indicators (as per the projects results framework) is conducted on quarterly basis;
- Organize technical workshop to review and validate project documents (including studies);
- Contribute to the development of all reports of the donor related to environment and social risks management and biodiversity for the project;
- Assist the Project coordinator/Sector Specialist in analyzing technical feasibility of subprojects during subproject review process, with particular emphasis on biodiversity, ecosystems management issues;
- Assist the NPC to respond to the technical support requests from the Community- Based Groups(CBG), private operators, and other beneficiaries of the project and take necessary actions;
- Link with key project stakeholders to achieve the objective of the project;
- Collect desktop information and data from field surveys to deepen the understanding of the ecosystem goods and services provided by wetlands.
- Review field and laboratory data reports produced by consultants/ contactor working on the project;
- Provide practical input into the development of wetland rehabilitation plans;
- Work closely with Environmental and Social Risks Management Specialists to analyse some environment related issues on the site;
- Liaise with, and advise, site managers, engineers, planners and others to assist with surveying and planning for wetland rehabilitation works;
- Undertake capacity building and awareness raising to the public and beneficiaries of the project;
- Undertake regular monitoring of rehabilitation works during project implementation to ensure that environmental risks are appropriately mitigated and managed;
- Report on the progress of wetland rehabilitation works, highlighting issues of concern or requiring management intervention.
- Provide useful data and advice to REMA and stakeholders working with government, industry, non-governmental organizations, communities, and individuals, to wisely manage wetland ecosystems;
- Perform any other activities directly related to the project objectives that will be assigned by the project Coordinators;
- Build relationships with stakeholders, including members of the public
- Contribute to any study or research related to biodiversity and environment and natural resources
- Contribute ideas about changes to policy and legislation, based on ecological findings;
2. Education Background
- Master’s degree in Ecology, Biodiversity specialized in aquatic ecosystems with three (3) years working experience;
- At least (3) years of working experience, ideally in external funded projects as researcher in aquatic related fields;
- Experience in conducting research through (conducting field surveys to collect biological information about the numbers and distribution of organisms in the wetlands’ ecosystems;
- 3.Key Technical Skills & Knowledge required
- Familiar with different environmental and social safe guards’ standards from World Bank will be an advantage;
- Practical experience in conducting rapid biodiversity assessments in aquatic environment;
- An in-depth knowledge of wetland formation and functioning would be preferable;
- A solid understanding of the watershed management approaches.
- Proficient in the planning and application of tools required for planning and undertaking field research, such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Global Positioning Systems (GPS), aerial photography, records and maps
- Experience in conducting public awareness in biodiversity management, conservation, Environmental protection and management;
- Proven competence in conducting biodiversity/ecology related research;
- Proven competence in the use of computer applications including Microsoft office and GIS applications (QGIS / ArcMap);
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda, English with a very good knowledge of French;
- Very flexible to work within a team or individually;
- Able to work with different stakeholders;
- Able to work under pressure and meet challenging timescales.
Interested candidates will submit their applications including CV, application letter, and academic qualification. Recommendation of last employer, applications will be sent at firstname.lastname@example.org. Late application shall not be considered. The deadline for the submission of the application shall be on the 10/03/2021.
For any further information, please visit REMA website.