The U.S. Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda is pleased to announce the annual competition for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, the largest Fulbright program, designed primarily to strengthen African universities through higher degree training (Master’s degree). Although core Fulbright Exchanges are with universities, candidates who are affiliated with other educational, cultural, or professional institutions are eligible to apply.
• Applicants should be affiliated with an academic or non-academic professional
institution in Rwanda and committed to work in their home institutions upon completion of
the designated program;
• Nominees must have at least the equivalent of four (4) years of university study and the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Nominees that have three (3) years of tertiary
study should have the equivalent of thirteen (13) years of primary and secondary school and their undergraduate degree should allow them to be eligible to pursue higher
education in their home country. Please note that final equivalency decisions will be determined by each U.S. university and not all institutions will accept a three (3) year
• Applicants should have a sufficient level of English proficiency to enable
them to engage in full-time graduate level study in the United States.
• Applicants must meet the minimum scores on required standardized tests.
The ideal TOEFL score is 100 or above for Internet Based test or the equivalent in other test forms. For GRE, applicants must at or above the fiftieth percentile in either section.
• Applicants must have outstanding academic records, references and preparation in their chosen fields.
• Applicants must demonstrate serious commitment to completing the program and returning home.
• Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Rwanda and reside in Rwanda.
• Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously studied in the United States.
• Applicants with no extensive or recent U.S. experience will be given
• Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
• Qualified candidates living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
• Current Employees of the U.S. Embassy are not eligible.
Application and Selection Process
Interested candidates must submit an online application at https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2021 before March 31, 2020. Applications submitted by hard copy, by email, or after the deadline will not be considered. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an in-person interview at the Embassy that will determine semi-finalists.
For more information,please visit https://rw.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/147/FY-2021-Fulbright-Foreign-Student-Program-Recruitment-Brochure.pdf